Maintain your gear, and be FAMILIAR with how to use it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing what to do, as in the case of disconnecting the low pressure inflator hose is only half of it. Practicing it on the actual equipment you are using just before the dive is the other half.

During a gear check on the surface, I witnessed a diver not able to remove the inflator hose. It was because the schrader valve inside the quick release fitting was loose and backed out just enough to prevent it from being disconnected. I now check my schrader valves before every trip.

There is an inflator hose on the market made with very tight tolerances. It is near impossible to remove this quick release under pressure. I replaced these hoses right after the dive where I experienced this problem.

There was an incident in Palancar Caves a few years ago where a rental bcd and regulator set inflator hose could not be disconnected by hand. The diver was pinned against the overhead cover. The dive guide had to use a knife to pry it off of the fitting. Fortunately for the diver, he was in the reef structure. Unknown cause.

Being able to remove the inflator hose under pressure should be part of the standard pre dive safety check before a deep water entry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom