Maintaining Trim while motionless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mostly agree with your assessment, and I personally don't think that what you're saying is that different.

I am not going to say it needs to be a perfect dive, but let's just say it needs to be very, very good and an issue on the dive can't be something that you have routinely struggled with.
bold added

Surely you can't think that pushing a 5 foot depth change or 30* degree trim is "very, very good", as you say?

...you might find a GUE diver who is pushing the 30 degrees of trim limit or you might find a rec pass holder who pushes the 5ft window, but you are not going to find one who pushes 30 degrees of time AND the 5ft window. You need control and there is no way a diver can walk the tight rope of pushing the boundaries of multiple standards while still completing the different skills at a passing level.

So you're saying that pushing 30* trim and a 5 foot window, which are apparently both allowed, are not allowed if the diver does both? So you're arguing simply to say that in your estimation, either one is allowed but not both?

I mostly agree with your assessment, and I personally don't think that what you're saying is that different.

bold added

Surely you can't think that pushing a 5 foot depth change or 30* degree trim is "very, very good", as you say?

So you're saying that pushing 30* trim and a 5 foot window, which are apparently both allowed, are not allowed if the diver does both? So you're arguing simply to say that in your estimation, either one is allowed but not both?

I am telling you that there is no diver that can magically JUST have issues of 30 degrees trim and a 5ft window. If you have both there are fundamental control issues and the diver won't be able to complete all the skills up to par.

There was another thread recently talking about staying in trim without motion. Someone was challenged to show a video of themselves holding trim without motion for a length of time and the challenge was accepted. Does anyone know if the video got posted? I'm someone who thinks that it is close to impossible, can someone prove me wrong?

In order to pass a GUE class a diver needs to be in control of themselves, Its not just about perfect trim and bouyancy. its ok to break trim if it's necessary and a conscious choice. Every class has skills that are preparing you for the next level, meaning some steps might seem extraneous but they have a purpose later down the road as those skills are built upon.

We did it in spring-clear water, in a basin with several training platforms. Again, that was in a class with only Rec students; nobody was aiming for a Tech pass. Now, from class reports I have read, for a Tech pass they do generally take students to another location that has some slightly deeper, perhaps less pool-perfect water, so they can at least do an ascent from something more realistic than a platform at 30 ft. Can anyone who has taken Fundies in N. FL confirm?
We did F2 at blue grotto. All of us blew one or more requirements enough that we didn't even get to rec pass level.

Working with Mer on an upgrade we ended up at Troy, which was more challenging.

We did it in spring-clear water, in a basin with several training platforms. Again, that was in a class with only Rec students; nobody was aiming for a Tech pass. Now, from class reports I have read, for a Tech pass they do generally take students to another location that has some slightly deeper, perhaps less pool-perfect water, so they can at least do an ascent from something more realistic than a platform at 30 ft. Can anyone who has taken Fundies in N. FL confirm?

In N.Florida, Troy is generally used as the "final exam" sight for fundies. Its 60-70ft deep with decent, but not crazy, flow from a spring.

If conditions and location allow, most instructors will start with pool like conditions (Blue Grotto, Ginnie Springs), and upgrade to current/flow when the student progresses and is ready to receive either a rec or tech pass.

One of the 3 of us got a tech upgrade after Troy. It wasn't me.

Dang, that's not a good percentage. What did people have difficulty with? Did you write up a course report? I know that not one of my skills, except maybe propulsion/kicks, is up to snuff for a tech pass yet. If this is off-topic, feel free to PM me.

Except for the first day, which was at Ginnie, our Fundies course (before the F1/F2 split was offered) was at Blue Grotto. Got a provisional rec pass the first time, practiced a few more weeks, then came back and got the rec pass--still at Blue Grotto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom