Maintaining Trim while motionless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. What is a realistic goal for holding trim/position with minimal movement? I assume no use of hands/arms, and very minor fin movements.

Weight distribution. Typically with backmount the chest is positive, the lower body negative and when you stop, the body assumes a vertical position. If you put weights higher on the body, it will be easier (if not effortless) to stay horizontal. This is how sidemount divers do it.

Kinda bouncing off this thread since it was one I was following closely. I was able to get some pool work in today. Our pool isn't very deep (6' at deepest). Buoyancy was good as I was able to stay within a 1' off bottom without touching. I've been working very hard to get proper trim and I noticed that I'm constantly but ever so slightly moving forward. The only thing I can figure is I'm slightly finning and don't really realize it. I'm hoping to get a GoPro down there next time, but in the meantime if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it

As a new diver, I have been working to improve trim and bouyancy control. I feel fairly confident in my ability to hold trim and depth, although with any task loading I can break trim and that is currently what I am working. For instance, staying fixed during a mask removal and replacement. The other issue is that if I become completely motionless I will slowly roll or break trim. Most recently I was slowly rolling to the left and back.

You are never "completely" motionless. Just like someone who drives a car in a "perfectly straight" line is always making tiny adjustments to the steering wheel, someone who appears to be completely motionless underwater is making many tiny adjustments.

As for "breaking trim" when you are task loaded. The reason for this is that you can only really concentrate on one thing at a time. So when you are doing some kind of drill you need to break it down into steps and then execute it like this

- step 1 of the drill
- check buoyancy and trim
- step 2 of the drill
- step 3 of the drill

and so on. I call this "task chaining". You need to keep coming back to your buoyancy and trim of you don't want to lose it so in your mind make it like links in a chain and do one link then then next then the next..... and don't forget that you can take your time. Checking your buoyancy and trim might take a moment, especially if you need to make an adjustment so take that time and get it sorted before moving to the next link in the chain. Eventually you'll be able to move faster and faster through the chain but building up the speed is a longer term goal. Getting the order right is the short term goal.

Good luck.

R..

Kinda bouncing off this thread since it was one I was following closely. I was able to get some pool work in today. Our pool isn't very deep (6' at deepest). Buoyancy was good as I was able to stay within a 1' off bottom without touching. I've been working very hard to get proper trim and I noticed that I'm constantly but ever so slightly moving forward. The only thing I can figure is I'm slightly finning and don't really realize it. I'm hoping to get a GoPro down there next time, but in the meantime if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it

There is a good chance you are slightly head heavy and are subconsciously finning to correct yourself which is slowly pushing you forward. The issue is caused by either weight distribution of your equipment or your body position(head slightly down, arms not stretched out, legs tucked too close to your ass and not spread out far enough, etc)

I don't believe it to be possible, but I've been wrong before.

I'd say @Trace Malinowski comes REALLY close here:
That's the kind of diver I want to become when I grow up.

The shiny silver Milar sheets work well

Brendon,

Do you have a pic as to how mirror like these are in a pool? It is something that I'd consider adding to my pool sessions. I may even try to figure out how to take one out into open water. It will have to be big as currently the viz is 5' at best in the shallows, peaking at 30' in the winter.

Brendon,

Do you have a pic as to how mirror like these are in a pool? It is something that I'd consider adding to my pool sessions. I may even try to figure out how to take one out into open water. It will have to be big as currently the viz is 5' at best in the shallows, peaking at 30' in the winter.
Have a look at this.

Finis Training Swim Mirror

I don't have pics at the moment, I'll see what I can find.

Have a look at this.

Finis Training Swim Mirror

I don't have pics at the moment, I'll see what I can find.
Brendon,

Thanks. If that is representative, that is good enough. I will assume it is, unless you say otherwise. I'll just have to mount the milar (mylar?) to something to make it usable in a pool. I see sheets that are 4'x25", so I was thinking of 5 4x5 sections for the students to use. Would be great to practice skills demonstrations too!

You could make a cheap PVC frame for the stuff as well

Back
Top Bottom