Maintenance of the Li-Ion batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased the 10W Li-Ion light and I have some questions about how to maintain the batteries. I've read some different suggestions in maintaining healthy Li-Ion batteries, ranging from long term storage in the freezer to storing with no charge, storing with partial charge and everything in between (the concern is supposedly the Li-Ion batteries losing their capacity over time based on the storage charge levels).

Questions:
Short term storage (1-3 weeks between use) - Should they be stored at full charge or at some other charge level?

Long term storage (3+ weeks between use) - Same question.

Charging after use - If the batteries weren't fully discharged during diving, should they be prior to charging again?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. I just got back in the office after being away for a week.

Freezing is never a good idea for any cell with a liquid electrolyte, eg Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium Ion, Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries. A cool dry location, away from flammable materials is always best.
Lithium Ion batteries, like Nikel Metal Hydride battteries, do not have a memory, that is that you can partially discharge the pack and then recharge or reuse without having to completely discharge or condition the pack. Lithium Ion batteries do have a higher internal discharge rate than NiMH batteries, that is, if left for periods of time without charging, they will discharge by themselves faster than other batteries. This can be a problem if the cell voltage gets too low, it can actually permanently damage the cells. So, the best bet is to use the pack and keep it charging on a smart charging system that will top it off as needed and keep it ready for use. The longest I would go without charging is a month for a fully charged pack and two weeks for a partially discharged pack. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Carl

I recently purchased the 10W Li-Ion light and I have some questions about how to maintain the batteries. I've read some different suggestions in maintaining healthy Li-Ion batteries, ranging from long term storage in the freezer to storing with no charge, storing with partial charge and everything in between (the concern is supposedly the Li-Ion batteries losing their capacity over time based on the storage charge levels).

Questions:
Short term storage (1-3 weeks between use) - Should they be stored at full charge or at some other charge level?

Long term storage (3+ weeks between use) - Same question.

Charging after use - If the batteries weren't fully discharged during diving, should they be prior to charging again?

Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom