Maintenance Update: 1/21/2004 - Resolved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
11:40 PM - 215,000 posts indexed although the process was haulted for a half hour while I updated a few settings.

12:55 PM - 320,000 posts indexed. Avg. is 100,000 per hour.

For those of you who tried to access the board on Jan. 21st you either found it down or found lots of error messages. Basically it seems that on 1/20 the server crashed along with several others from a power outage on the rack our machine is placed on. This power issue was quickly fixed but the crash corrupted several mysql database tables on the system. We thought this corruption was the only problem but it later turned out that our server motherboard was failing, either as a result of the crash, the ram upgrade or something else. Regardless of the reason the server would reboot its self all day causing more data corruption until we finally got an idea of the problem and along with our NOC's help, the machine was basically rebuilt. It seems that almost all of the board data is still here (we have a backup from mid-crash just incase). However, the search index was lost and is now being rebuilt... we are on post 30,000 as of when I wrote this.

What can you expect?

For the rest of tonight (1/21) the server may be a bit slow as our indexing continues. By tomorrow things should be back to normal, a few posts may be gone but that is the only expected long term damage. If your account has problems or if you notice another issue please email scubaboard@moderninsider.com

Sorry for the inconvenience.

9:43 PM - 120,000 posts indexed. Say another 5 hours to finish it off...

Tech Admin,

The users, moderators and myself would like to thank you for the tremendous job you have done here. The board works so well for so long that we sometimes forget the human side that keeps it all going. We share in your angst as you try to "rage against the machine". Keep the faith, bro! We are all behind you here.

I don't understand any of that except Pete's part about thanking you.

My heartfelt thank you Ted for your faithful service to the rest of us.

FYI, your post and this one will not be here when the board comes back up so thank you now, as you won't see it tomorrow :)

Bless You Bless You Bless You!!! Thanks to all involved for the tiring work you all gave in putting scubaboard back up. I never realized how addicted I had become. Thanks again and the typing speed is incredible now....
Ga Diver

You guys do a temendous job. When the board went down, we noticed how important the board is to all of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom