Major Scuba Toys wetsuit hassle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thecovetrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ordered 3mm Henderson Thermoprene wetsuits for my boyfriend and myself from Scuba Toys last month. The first hassle came when Scuba Toys called to say they didn't actually have my wetsuit in stock, even though it had shown as available on their site. I changed the order to the 5mm. Then my boyfriend decided to go with a 5mm, too, so I ordered him a thicker suit.

When the suits arrived they'd sent him a 3mm mistakenly, and my suit didn't fit. When I called Scuba Toys to arrange an exchange, they apologized for the mix-up and sent us out a thicker suit for my boyfriend, and just charged us the additional $28. They had me order myself a new, smaller suit, and said they'd credit back the price of the original suit when it arrived.

The new suits arrived, they fit, and I sent back the original two using receipt confirmation from the post office. The suits arrived at Scuba Toys April 30th, but five days later I had no refund for my suit. I called on the fifth day and was told they don't process returns until Wednesday.

Now it's Saturday, a week and two days since they received my return, and still no refund. I just called Scuba Toys and they couldn't find my order - they put me on hold at least four times to try to locate it. Eventually they said they'd refund me for the less-expensive suit (where they should be refunding me for the more expensive suit) and I had to explain the situation to them numerous times - a situation that should be well-documented on their computers.

So between that, and the trouble my boyfriend's been having with the Oceanic Alpha 8 reg I bought him from Scuba Toys just five months ago (two services already!) - never again Scuba Toys. Great prices - but at what cost?

Huh
I ordered 2 sets of wings from them a while ago.
One had a small defect in it, very very small leak (hey stuff happens).
I called, sent the old one back, got the new one no issues.

Great prices - but at what cost?

Just for the record, how much did you "save" over not buying them someplace where you could have actually tried them on?

I bought 5 mm henderson thermoprene suit from them last year. The suit was a TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP and I had to return it after a few dives, seams unraveling and worse: the rubber is garbage and immediately compressed and the entire suit was wrinkled and crushed. They accepted the return but I got screwed out of shipping on a defective product. Just wait until you try the suit.. :shakehead::shakehead:

Mine was super comfortable and stretchy, but the worst suit I've owned in 35 years. Even worse than Imperial Turtle suits made about 30 years ago, if anyone remebers that far back.

I bought 5 mm henderson thermoprene suit from them last year. The suit was a TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP and I had to return it after a few dives, seams unraveling and worse: the rubber is garbage and immediately compressed and the entire suit was wrinkled and crushed. They accepted the return but I got screwed out of shipping on a defective product. Just wait until you try the suit.. :shakehead::shakehead:

Mine was super comfortable and stretchy, but the worst suit I've owned in 35 years. Even worse than Imperial Turtle suits made about 30 years ago, if anyone remebers that far back.

hmmm---so Henderson's overrated(always thought so for some reason, don't ask me what is was--just a gut feeling, sometimes thought it was only indigestion))....That's why I've always ordered Evo's.....

Scubatoys is number one in service. But, many of todays soft, squishy, stretch neoprene suits simply do not hold up, they crush at depth, and after a few dives they stay crushed.

High pressure gas blown Rubatex G231 is what real pro grade wetsuits are made of. Of course, it is like wearing rubber armor but it also does not quit after a dozen dives or crush at 120 feet.

Consumer grade gear is consumer grade gear whether bought from scubatoys or from the local retail dive store.

This will start a fuss, but sorry, there is AL and Scuba Pro and then there is everybody else. Fashion regulators come and go, these two have a reputation for standing behind gear made even decades ago.

N

You get what you pay for in wetsuits... Actually, my experience is that applies across the board with scuba gear. Surprised about your difficulty with ST though. My experiences with purchasing wet suits and other gear from them has been outstanding!

Sorry you had things go wrong. I for one have had nothing but great service from Scubatoys.

I've bought two full sets of gear from them and numerous accesories. This seems totally out of character for them. If they don't have something, they usually ask if they can substitute and many times they offer a sub of something of higher value than what I wanted to buy.

I would email larry or joe directly I'm sure they'll make it right, or post something on thier forum under complaints and they'll respond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom