Major surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Three weeks ago yesterday I had to have my right kidney removed. While I am acutally doing good my energy level of course if not up to where it was before. I had a mass on my kidney which did turn out to be cancer but it was contained so thank goodness they caught it in time and no chemo etc... One lucky lady...
So I haven't even spoken with my doctor yet as I know I will not be diving for the next couple of months anyways... But question... how long do they usually say after such a surgery?
While I do know that I might have to have my bcd and tank handed to me in the water so as not to lift the weight....I can live with that.

Thanks for any thoughts and while I know the final word it up to my doctors I am just curious....

Lynn

Wow, LynnB, you are one tough person, to be thinking of diving already!! Glad to hear it is gone.

With that attitude, I'm sure you will return to diving soon. :clapping:

Well I can say that I am not up to it today LOL but hopefully in a few months I will feel strong... Just dreaming right now....

Reactions: Jax
Lynn, I am so very glad to hear that the cancer was contained. Scary, but such a wonderful outcome. Like Jax says, I would bet you will be back diving soon. Talk to DAN and talk to your surgeon about it, too. If he is not familiar with Diving, have him call DAN. I believe I was down for two or three months after major surgery in 1994.

In general, the recommendation is to avoid heavy lifting for six weeks after abdominal surgery, although if you are young and otherwise well, with laparoscopic surgery only, that might be a bit shorter. It seems to take about 4 to 5 weeks for stamina to come back to normal after general anesthesia (regardless of the procedure), and if you lost any blood, you might take a bit more time to bring your counts back to normal, to support a normal exercise tolerance.

I guess I'd say a conservative recommendation would be six weeks; you might move it up to four, if you have help with the lifting, are young and otherwise well, and have no postoperative complications.

In general, the recommendation is to avoid heavy lifting for six weeks after abdominal surgery, although if you are young and otherwise well, with laparoscopic surgery only, that might be a bit shorter. It seems to take about 4 to 5 weeks for stamina to come back to normal after general anesthesia (regardless of the procedure), and if you lost any blood, you might take a bit more time to bring your counts back to normal, to support a normal exercise tolerance.

I guess I'd say a conservative recommendation would be six weeks; you might move it up to four, if you have help with the lifting, are young and otherwise well, and have no postoperative complications.

Well other wise I feel I am pretty healthy. (although I had no stypmtoms before... just a great stroke of luck). While I truthfully feel like it will be at least several months... and as far as the young part.... while I like to think I am young and probably act and look a lot younger than my age I will be 58 in a few weeks here.... Is that young or old? Guess it depends on who you ask and what a frame of mind is...
Thanks

As much as I hate to say it (since I'm 57 myself) at 58, I'd probably give it the full six weeks.

A lot of it just depends on your body, but in general, I think you can tell when you go too far. Your body will tell you.

Aug 17th, 2010, I had 18" of gut removed for CA, as well as mets from my bladder and peritoneum, and every lymph node the surgeon could reach. 10" midline incision, from pubes to above the navel.
I was out of the hospital 1 week later. 2 days after that I was back at the dojang (teaching and very light workouts only, no sparring at first.)
Oct 5th (my 49th birthday) my family and I all tested. For me, that included free sparring vs 1, 2 and 3 opponents and a 4-station break with from 2-6" of pine (and no spacers allowed).
Nov 1st we got on the plane for 10 days shore diving in Curacao.

Keep a positive attitude and do everything you can. If it doesn't hurt, do it. Stay as active as possble. You'll recover faster. While it will probably take you the full 6 weeks, that does not mean you do nothinger for 6 weeks and then, POOF, go back to normal. Build up gradually with the goal of being back to full function after 6 weeks. If I can do it, you can too. :)

As much as I hate to say it (since I'm 57 myself) at 58, I'd probably give it the full six weeks.

I am 57 but will be 58 on the 25th ...haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom