Makassar layover options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkun

Registered
Reaction score
Balmain NSW by way of Sheung Wan, Hong Kong and Ch
# of dives
500 - 999
I just found out that my return flights from Manado where rescheduled leaving me with an 11 hour layover in Makassar. I am in the process of trying to reroute through Jakarta, but if that doesn't work out, any suggestions on killing 11 hours in Makassar?

i read on a TripAdvisor thread that there is a Home In Spa in the airport where you can rent a room to catch some zzz's but I found no specifics on a web search.

appreciate any pearls of wisdom.

Hmm..curious, ive never seen the Home In Spa at Makassar...the only thing ive noticed there is a fish tank and that would be impossible to stare at for 11 hours. I can find some info for you within the next 24 hours (have quite a few students based in Makassar at the moment).

Yes, Home in Spa is located on the second floor adjacent to the departing lounge. Cost approx. USD 40 per 6 hours. Been there on dec. 2012, waiting our flight to Sorong - not bad for sleep and hot shower.
You can get cheaper accomodation at the transit hotel - approx. 15 minute from Airport.

So there was more to do than stare at the bloody fish tank?? Why didnt any body tell me! :confused:

You could go on a tour around the city if you feel like it. Did this 11 years ago - to the harbour, Fort Rotterdam, and a few other spots. Takes a good hour to get from the airport to the city though. No doubt some tour guides etc at the airport who could arrange this!

I could be wrong but I think that spa only rents out the rooms at night. During the day, they are used for one hour massages. A tour or a chill out / meal at the nearby transit hotel would be my choices.

You could go on a tour around the city if you feel like it. Did this 11 years ago - to the harbour, Fort Rotterdam, and a few other spots. Takes a good hour to get from the airport to the city though. No doubt some tour guides etc at the airport who could arrange this!

If you want to arrange something in advance, a Google search indicates that quite a few foreigners seem to like this particular driver/guide: Dodo Penman. Have seen some TripAdvisor posts mentioning him. Haven't used him though, so I don't have any direct experience with him.

Dodo The Penman from Makassar

Some taxi drivers might be willing to take you on a tour around the city for some fee that you could negotiate. For them, this is better than the uncertainty waiting for passengers. Of course, this is kind of risky compared to going with an established tour, but might be good if you are feeling adventurous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom