Suggestion Make Equipment forum a “Flame Free Zone”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
All too often it seems that new/newish divers post to Scubaboard with questions about gear and their thread devolves into a pissing match on who’s equipment is better. Not surprisingly the original poster stops participating and sometimes is never seen again.

Is there any way to make the Equipment Forum a “Flame Free Zone” similar to the New Diver and Basic Forums.

Lisa

"flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about (equipment choices) without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times.

Deleted (no longer relevant)

Last edited:
I suppose masochism may be a problem with the golden rule. If I thrive on abuse does that mean do unto others as you would have them do unto you means humiliate them?

The best reason I see for treating those you interact with in a respectful and compassionate manner is that it is the most likely way to succeed in forming a productive relationship. Of course if your goal is instead to show that you are better than them then..........
it is still the right approach. Yeah, it's like that.

I see they moved one of the most recent examples to the New Diver Forum and that may indeed be the best way to handle this.

I am all for a healthy debate and discussing pros and cons. I have participated in more than a few of these myself. I am not for the intolerance and out right rudness that I have witnessed all too frequently of late. It’s enough to make me hesitate to post.

I see they moved one of the most recent examples to the New Diver Forum and that may indeed be the best way to handle this.
Yeah, that was me. What I noticed when I dealt with that thread is that in our equipment forums, everything is broken out by type of equipment and that is great when you want to ask a question about a computer or a BCD. The problem is that people new to diving are buying everything and so it's a PITA to post a question in each of the various relevant equipment forums and we don't have a "All equipment" forum there because that would be a bit crazy.

But it's probably a question that gets asked a lot by newer divers. I'm going to look and see if we have a sticky about buying equipment because maybe that is another alternative... I have also heard a suggestion that we create a sub-forum in the New Divers forum called Equipment or something to that effect. What do you think of that?

I have also heard a suggestion that we create a sub-forum in the New Divers forum called Equipment or something to that effect. What do you think of that?
Excellent suggestion.

perhaps we need a 'best answers' feature?

often reading through 20 pages of posts only yields ... what ... 1/2doz or so of really interesting / helpful (and relevant info to the OP's q) with facts / opinions and reasons explained in a succinct manner.

perhaps we need a 'best answers' feature?

often reading through 20 pages of posts only yields ... what ... 1/2doz or so of really interesting / helpful (and relevant info to the OP's q) with facts / opinions and reasons explained in a succinct manner.
That's kind of what I was thinking about when I mentioned the sticky idea...take some of the best responses from various threads and put them all into one general sticky about advice for new divers buying equipment.

That's kind of what I was thinking about when I mentioned the sticky idea...take some of the best responses from various threads and put them all into one general sticky about advice for new divers buying equipment.
Love the idea but deciding on the “best responses” would be...troublesome.

Love the idea but deciding on the “best responses” would be...troublesome.
You know, I don't think so. I have seen very great, generic advice offered and have thought to myself...that's great advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom