Suggestion Make Equipment forum a “Flame Free Zone”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
All too often it seems that new/newish divers post to Scubaboard with questions about gear and their thread devolves into a pissing match on who’s equipment is better. Not surprisingly the original poster stops participating and sometimes is never seen again.

Is there any way to make the Equipment Forum a “Flame Free Zone” similar to the New Diver and Basic Forums.

Lisa

"flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about (equipment choices) without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times.

You know, I don't think so. I have seen very great, generic advice offered and have thought to myself...that's great advice.

perhaps a select group of experienced individuals selected by the mod team etc to decide the best-answers. an offshoot of this would be to eliminate elusive and ambiguous responses

Naw come on guys, heatedly discussing equipment is one of the most fun things about Scubaboard! I’ve learned so much from puzzling through these spicy convoluted threads full of differing opinions. And I’ve changed my equipment bit by bit, and it’s still evolving.

Last edited:
Why not simply put a separate equipment forum into the new divers area?

Let divers choose their appropriate zone (beginners, advanced or tech) and let debates occur at an equally suitable level of dialogue.

IMHO, 90% of the problems on this board stem from people getting engaged in debates at an inappropriate level for their experience amd qualifications.

That could mean novice divers getting torn down for the unqualified 'opinions' they contribute to advanced and, especially, technical debates...then getting 'offended' when the inevitable shut-down occurs.

Or, conversely, more advanced divers getting overly vociferous and argumentative in novice diver areas - which often derails threads and alienates the OP who sees their simple question turn into a slug-fest.

Computers are only avail from Shearwater ...
... and God help the poor fool who suggests that not everyone needs to buy one ... even though you own one yourself and think they're great ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... and God help the poor fool who suggests that not everyone needs to buy one ... even though you own one yourself and think they're great ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually I have two but who’s counting?

As a dive gear retailer who exclusively sells directly to the retail consumer (and thus has zero retail stores or retail staff promoting our gear) we are very dependent on word of mouth and social media. So this topic is important to me.

Of course, we have certain members who are very opinionated and are sure their gear selections are “best” and some others who tend to be quite critical of certain manufacturers or designs, but everyone has their personal biases and preferences. I think most readers should be able to understand this situation and be able to identify members who might seem overly focused or unidimensional in their opinions.

A flame free policy for gear discussions might sound like a good idea at first look, but it is not something I would like to see happen. I understand and support a flame free policy directed toward new divers, the existing policy is intended to protect new divers from some degree of “personal” attack or criticism.

Criticizing a person’s gear selection, is not quite the same as attacking them personally. It probably could spill over into a gray area where there is some overlap, but they seem distinguishable to me.

So I would voice my own opinion that members should CONTINUE to be allowed to freely express their opinions on gear or equipment. If they say something quite negative, maybe they are being unfair or biased or have a hidden agenda, but the value of open communication far outweighs the negative impacts of “someone with an ax to grind”.

In the past, we have infrequently been treated unfairly (I think) by certain people (on other social media – not Scubaboard) and we have always done our best to address their concerns and make the situation right – even in situations where an unbiased observer should be able to see that the criticism was unfair or over the top. Criticism is sometimes generated by individuals who are not even our customers, but we always try to view these (rare) occurrences as an opportunity to educate our current and future customers and also as a chance to demonstrate our dedication to integrity and honesty.

I would prefer to continue to have Scubaboard be a place where people can argue over their gear selections and if they flame a manufacturer – maybe it is justified (or maybe not) but the free dissemination of ideas and opinions is much more valuable than trying to manage everyone’s opinion to such a degree that each manufacturer will be protected from a potentially unfair criticism.

I think Pete and the moderators do an excellent job of managing the board by keeping the discussions reasonable and fair – so I don’t support the change in policy as has been presented in this thread. Obviously, I might let the moderation staff know if someone on scubaboard was being grossly deceptive or dishonest with respect to MAKO, but that has never occurred and I don’t expect it in the future.

I don’t think it would be beneficial if the members felt that they couldn’t express honest and heartfelt feedback on any of our gear. For me, the honest feedback is much more useful than being protected from the potential of an unfair “flame”.

Dive Safe
Dano

Back
Top Bottom