Make Rescue a renewable c-card too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The EFR first aid card only lasts two years, but the Rescue c-card is a permanent qualification. Is there a case for making a Rescue only valid for two years as well, after which an update course must be taken to keep the qualification?

Is that "No. Rescue skills don't need refreshing", or "No. I don't want the extra work"?

My EFR is already self-renewing (being a Red Cross volunteer).

Though it's useful to keep your skills up-to-date, I would prefer not to put another dollar in...

I think it would be a good idea to have some kind of refresher for rescue divers, especially for people who not dive too often, the problem that i see it that it would be another way for the certification agencies to make more money and in a place like the Philippines it tough enough for locals to afford the training so I think that even though its a good idea it would probably be counter productive as there are lots of divemasters who pass the course and never renew after the first time!

How many people will care whether their rescue card is expired?

Definitely should not expire. What is the point? Few would bother to redo it, if it did.

It might even put new divers off the course.

You can practise the skills without doing the course.

Maybe GUE Fundamentals should have a 2 year expiry?

The card doesn't matter, Its the skills that are important. And If you really did have to do a rescue I don't think anyone would care if its been 3 years since the last time you practiced calming down a diver in panic with an instructor.

The rec rescue class is meant as self rescue and buddy rescue its not meant to be taken for true rescue divers or PSD divers. The reason your EFR expires is because with that training you should be able to preform cpr on anybody, using the same standards as medics and nurses. And the guidelines for CPR change alot, so they want you to keep learning.

As I can remember 3 years ago the ratio for CPR was 15:1 now its, 30 : 2, without intubation. And in two years its probably going to be 60 : 0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom