Making a steel dive computer - input needed!

Like it?

• Love it!

• Hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few of you have mentioned diving with gloves (in cold water). Could those of you that do that let us know what computer they currently use for those dives, as a reference?

A few of you have mentioned diving with gloves (in cold water). Could those of you that do that let us know what computer they currently use for those dives, as a reference?
Petrel and teric. Both work without problems with thick dry gloves. Also used shinto cobra before, but plastic buttons were really hard to use on cold water. Have you considered making display round? That way compass works nicer. Even better if display would be 2x size of teric.

Considering previous replies, a rechargeable AND ruser replaceable battery seems to be the ideal option...?
For some divers. Others will appreciate a recharging system that does not involve opening and resealing a battery compartment each time with inherent flood risk. You can’t be all things to all people.

Considering previous replies, a rechargeable AND ruser replaceable battery seems to be the ideal option...?
Gonna be division on that. Give us both.

Hi! Yes, the screen will be recessed, like you describe. Edges will be smooth and polished, also like you describe. Regarding the battery, not decided yet, but we are leaning towards having a rechargeable battery. Thoughts?

For me, a DC with a battery that cannot be removed is a deal breaker. My current computer is recharge only. Never again. Why not include a rechargeable battery that can be removed by the user? Better yet, do it like shearwater and accept just about any battery chemistry in AA size format. NiMH, Alkaline, SAFT, Photo Lithium, Zinc-Carbon, Li-Ion could all be easily accommodated with a decent voltage regulator. Then include a charge connection so that rechargeable can be charged without removing. Battery format can be reasonably detected by measuring voltage, and recharge circuitry disabled in a non-rechargable or out of range rechargeable. This way you can please everyone when it comes to powering the computer.

Other than that, I'd say I love the features provided by my Ratio iX3M. However I miss the user friendliness of the shearwater petrel I used to have. If you could combine those two things, you'd have a unique product that should make everyone except the budget diver happy.

When it comes to air integration, an option to display air pressure data from a buddy transmitter is a great feature. I miss having that on the scubapro galileo. Ratio doesn't display buddy air pressure, and I'm not sure about shearwater.

Regarding materials. Some kind of permanent black coating would be a nice option. Where I dive (Florida, USA), there are always lots of barracuda. Shiny things have to be avoided, and a glossy steel dive computer would probably be an issue.

im currently using a Suunto Zoop w/ 5mm gloves

Shearwater Petrel and Dive Rite Nitek Q

Then include a charge connection so that rechargeable can be charged without removing. Battery format can be reasonably detected by measuring voltage, and recharge circuitry disabled in a non-rechargable or out of range rechargeable.

I'm not so sure about that: can you really tell a Li-ion charged to 1.2v from an eneloop just by measuring voltage? You could probably detect something that would require much extra work...

And of course not doing that means someone will put it on charge with a regular alkaline inside and have themselves a nice little BOOM.

I'm not so sure about that: can you really tell a Li-ion charged to 1.2v from an eneloop just by measuring voltage? You could probably detect something that would require much extra work...

And of course not doing that means someone will put it on charge with a regular alkaline inside and have themselves a nice little BOOM.
It turns out to be not so easy or foolproof to reliably detect battery type and chemistry. You end up depending on users to input what they installed to enable or disable charging. Sooner or later someone will have a non- rechargeable in there and plug in a charger...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom