Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you could make $200k per month teaching people how to make $100k per month and go scuba diving. A straw pole of my buddies would indicate the two are mutually exclusive.
I spend a lot of time diving and flying
I dove all day today.
I flew all day yesterday
The day before I flew to dive, then flew home :)

I taught 4 people last year to do what I do. I’m teaching 3 or 4 this year. I have the greatest job on the planet :). But that’s another topic

optima good; Revo bad :)

I spend a lot of time diving and flying
I dove all day today.
I flew all day yesterday
The day before I flew to dive, then flew home :)

I taught 4 people last year to do what I do. I’m teaching 3 or 4 this year. I have the greatest job on the planet :). But that’s another topic

optima good; Revo bad :)
Quel homme !:) :cheers:

I spoke with the Prism dealer/trainer again. He mostly dove the Optima with the Hammerhead electronics and did not do a lot of dives on newer version. He also recommended that if we take the Optima route that we find an instructor more familiar with the unit. He is willing to train us on the unit but felt we would get better training on someone who dives the unit regularly. I think this says a lot for his integrity.
If we go with the Optima will we be able to find compatible size rental bottles overseas?
Which unit packs/travels better for International flying?
What are the pros and cons of the iBOV? More jaw fatigue?
The Optima looks narrower which seems like a plus on a crowded boat?
We want to be able to do wreck penetrations which seems like the Optima would be better for?
As newbies should we go with the Nerd 2 or the standard HUD?
I know the fourth sensor is not really needed and requires more of our attention, so if we duct tape over it :) would it be the same as the diving the Prism? ( I would never do this! Just looking for feedback)

the optima today is night and day different from the days of the hammerhead years. Those things breathes like crap and the electronics were terrible.

If you plan on getting into deco diving go with the nerd, you’ll have redundant depth and decompression info. Also nice to set nerd to compass hot dropping. My wrist computer had a button fail and I borrowed another unit which doesnt have a nerd and i miss it. Really nice to have moving between stops when your hands and arms are busy with a reel since you have depth and some po2 info in your eye.

I only recently got into a nerd. Then when I moved to one of my other units I missed it. Now I have the nerd on everything :) I love it.

Is it listed here or someplace like CCR explorers or?

No, call me.

407-304-9288 Peter

I'm leaning very much in favor of the O2ptima. Since we will be scootering and loading spearguns we want the chest area as clear as possible. Seems like the iBOV would be good for that. Later down the road I can add a chest mount Optima for travel, can't spearfish on scuba in most of the world anyway.
My thoughts are to start with the Nerd and skip the smithers code thing. Right? Wrong?
I don't think we have any O2ptima trainers here in Houston so proabably Florida. Flights are cheap.
We were thinking about doing the classes over consecutive weekends vs all at once, not only for logistics but to better absorb the information. Pros? Cons?
Again thanks to everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom