Mako competition freediver fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
MAKO Spearguns - MAKO Competition Freediver Fins

I decided to buy a pair based on Dumpster Diver's recommendation in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/374506-tech-freediving-fins.html

I also bought a spare pair of blades which I will cut down to a more managable length for boat diving... the standard length of the fins is about 3 feet! Below is a photo next to my size L Jets for comparison (I also have XL Jets)

I'll be using them with Fourth Element finsocks as the fit is better - plus I'm missing a digit on one foot and have some fused toe joints so it'll be more comfortable too I hope

I will try them next week in Puerto Galera. I'll start out with single tank and the full-length blades, and work up to my twin AL80s and tech dives with AL40 stages if I'm happy with them

I'm going to experiment with donning them in-water after rolling in off the boat too - I'll post a review here afterwards and let you know what I think

Attachments

• IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 1,604
This will be really interesting. I'm glad you're going to experiment and post back with your thoughts. Thanks :)

Well, something of an anti-climax I'm afraid - only got to do one dive with them, single tank setup

I rolled in off our small diveboat, the standard fin length wasn't an issue as we only had 3 divers on the boat and I didn't have to do any walking around. In open water they were also fine; I did a little swimthrough on a steel yacht and bumped them a few times but overall not too hard to manage

The fit was very comfortable for me with the finsocks, much nicer than my Jets

Propulsion was great, just a little flick would glide you nicely through the water; only a slight current on the Sabang Wrecks site as usual

I'll do some more dives with them when I'm back in July and post another update then. At this stage I see no reason to cut down the spare blades but I might try it anyway since I have two sets

Attachments

• makos.jpg
    makos.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 313
  • mako.jpg
    mako.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 471
Small update, I did another dive - just 30m recreational, but with double tanks & 1 stage this time. Site was the Alma Jane wreck in Sabang Bay

There was a bit of current, fins had no trouble moving me with doubles - a steady bicycle/flutter kick had my buddy in XL Jets struggling to keep up with me. There is a swimthrough on the site but it's big so no issues there

Haven't done a tech dive with them yet but I'm confident now that they'll perform fine. Still thinking about how far to cut down the spare blades... the maximum would be to the top of the rails; this would reduce the surface area to roughly the same as XL Jets, which seems to defeat the purpose a little - so I'd like to keep them a little longer

Now that I have completed GUE-F, next time I use them I'll try out some different kicking styles and see what happens - I'm not expecting much from my backkick with these fins but who knows

IMG_3691.jpg

Back
Top Bottom