Mako compressor help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpenders

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I stumbled across and acquired a Mako compressor pump a little over a month ago. It appears to be a (slightly) younger sibling of the one discussed in this recent/current thread:

Old Bauer and Mako questions

Like the unit in the above thread, it has no model number, just a serial number on a Mako plate, 224879, which is also stamped into the block.

After a bit of online searching, I'm guessing it's a 5404 or 5405 pump. I don't know if there's any way to determine which one it is without opening up and measuring the first stage cylinder. Based on stampings on various parts of the unit, it seems to be dated around 1982. It would be great if someone can confirm or otherwise identify what I have here.

Initial examination shows missing relief valves on the 1st and 2nd stages, a missing drain valve on the second stage separator, and the flywheel/pulley is MIA. The pump had been drained of oil, and was tagged as such. The crankshaft can be spun by hand, and I can feel pressure building from the first stage (via the hole where the missing relief valve should be).

I figure the valves or suitable replacements can be found without too much effort. Anyone have a source or any ideas for replacing the flywheel/pulley? I'm not really sure what size/diameter it was originally, but the bore is 1" (or 25mm). I do have the hub that originally came with it, if that helps.

A few pictures:

Hi
I have a 5404 & my book shows it has 3 bolts on first stage head & 5405 has 4 bolts.
My flywheel is 17 inches.
I have never seen a 5404 5405 versions with oil feed to final stage via a oil pump,may be you have a very late version & they have done a conversion up date.
The compressor block in made in england by compair.
Cost for spare parts hurts a lot a final piston/liner for my 5404 just cost me just under 1900 uk pounds

Thanks for the replies and the link to the manual, very much appreciated.

Windy - I haven't been able to find the documents you are referring to, showing the different first stage head configuration. So are you thinking this might be a 5405? I'd be interested in taking a look at those diagrams.

Would anyone have a suggestion how/where I might find a replacement flywheel? I tried contacting Gardner Denver before reaching out for help here. They forwarded my request to a rep in CA - who has now vanished into thin air once he realized the age of the pump.

From the outside, this pump looks like it has had little use, if any at all. There is some oil residue inside the sight glass and the top of the crankcase breather, so it's probably been run at some point. How long it's been run is anyone's guess. The paint is pretty pristine, with no dust/oil/dirt residue. The incoming air filter is clean (the air inlet tube was plugged). The missing relief valves (the holes were also plugged with plastic caps, flywheel and separator drain valve make me wonder if maybe this was a spare pump (maybe military?) that also ended up donating parts to an already installed/operational unit.

According to the manual (thanks, Wookie), this pump "must be run-in for at least 100 hours on normal mineral type oils", and then is recommended to be converted to syn oil. Understanding this manual is as dated as the compressor, would this still be recommended? If you suspected the pump hadn't seen much use, how would you proceed?

I'm quite the noob when it comes to high pressure compressors, and i'm trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can find. I'm grateful for any insight and advice you veterans are willing to share.

Thanks again -

No on the mineral oil break in. Go straight to Mako blue (anderol 501).

Call any Mako dealer that keeps junk. You’ll find any number of them that have a broken crank. They will have your parts.

If you can’t find anyone near you, try Breathing Air Concepts in Key Largo. Rob has 2 junk 5405’s. I’m not sure what vintage they are.

Back
Top Bottom