MAKO: Sale on Professional Spearfishing Floats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Check out this week’s sale on my Professional Spearfishing Float

MAKO FACTORY DIRECT PRICING
NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP

Only $39.95!

https://www.makospearguns.com/Professional-Inflatable-Spearfishing-Float-p/mpif3.htm

Note: No special codes or coupons are needed, but this sale price is good for one week only!

campaign-inflatable-spearfishing-float-lg.jpg

Here is a cool video showing all the optional accessories.

Remember, don’t let this low price fool you. This is a high performance piece of gear.

• I use the same factories as the expensive brands.
• I use the same material as the expensive brands.
• I offer the same high quality as the expensive brands.

The only difference is the price. No dive shop markup!

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this.

Dive safe,
dano

I'm running the same sale this week. If you select the flag option, this is an excellent option for a scuba dive float. Light weight and compact for travel and is easily inflated on site. Very easy to tow compared to conventional dive flags.

Please check it out!

Thanks
dano

dano (@MAKO Spearguns)

Can you give a little comparison to the hp float. I currently have your "hard float" we use for river drifts (which is fabulous!), but liking the possible portability of an inflatable...

dano (@MAKO Spearguns)

Can you give a little comparison to the hp float. I currently have your "hard float" we use for river drifts (which is fabulous!), but liking the possible portability of an inflatable...

I was thinking the same thing. I have and use the rescue can version, but it is annoyingly big to deal with when travelling

dano (@MAKO Spearguns)

Sure, thanks for asking. The "Professional Float" (the one that is on sale this week) is orally inflated. It is (more or less) constructed with similar materials used in a good quality SMB (surface marker buoy). It is reasonably tough but you would not want to drag it over sharp rocks or barnacles, etc. It is primarily intended for the traveling diver who needs to avoid carrying a large bulky float.

MPIF3-2T.jpg

This float has handles on the sides and rear for attachment and to support a diver at the surface and an optional pouch which can accommodate small items. The keel weight will keep the optional flag upright.

When spearing very powerful fish, they can sometimes drag a float underwater (even with 35 lbs or more of lift). When this occurs, an orally inflated float begins to quickly compress the deeper it goes - causing a loss of displacement/buoyancy. If a fish takes the float deep enough, it may never be recoverable.

In order to address this spearfishing specific drawback, we also offer a HIGH pressure float. The high pressure floats are inflated mechanically (like a car tire) and can hold 15 or about 20 psi (depending on float size). As I'm sure you are aware, a float which is inflated to 15 psi will not begin to compress (at all) until it is pulled down to a depth of about 33 feet. Even if it is pulled deeper, it will compress considerably slower. Clearly this is not applicable to most scuba diving applications, but it is relevant to the question about the construction etc. In general, for scuba diving, there is little benefit in inflating the HP float above a few psi.

As you can imagine, a high pressure float must be constructed with a much stronger material designed to handle the considerable internal pressure. The MAKO High Pressure Floats are about as tough as a football (literally) and the nose cap is further reinforced to resist puncture and abrasion. It is not puncture proof, but it is pretty darn tough. These floats are, of course, more expensive but they are considerably more robust and should withstand years of hard use.

Only the 15-liter float has a flag option (which includes the keel weight). A 15 liter float has a displacement of 15 liters so the lift is around 30 lbs.

For drifting in a river, either of these inflatable floats should work well and tow easily. The MAKO hard float (you already have) is extremely robust and practically indestructible, but it is bulky when stored and transported.
MHPF-2T.jpg

Thanks again!
dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom