MAKO Spearguns: DIY Buzz Bomb Flasher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
MAKO Buzz Bomb Fish Flashers

Hey Spearo, Check out my “Do It Yourself” version of the Buzz Bomb Fish Flasher kits for only $6.95 each - or get a 3-pack for $19.95.

MBBF-2.jpg

I first saw these flashers in use, while diving with my good buddy, Patrick, who is the head spearfishing guide
with Baja Adventure Company in La Paz, Mexico.

Patrick and the other guides with BajaAdventureCo.com swear by these Buzz Bomb Flashers for hunting big pelagics, such as
wahoo, mahi and tuna as well as just about any reef fish!

They are so lifelike in the water, the fish come right in!

The MAKO Buzz Bomb Fish Flashers are easy to make and the kit comes with everything you need.

http://bit.ly/mako-bbflash

And check out the price…Only $6.95 each.

I have seen similar items sell for $95.00 plus shipping. I know…that’s crazy when you consider it takes less than a few minutes to make one.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this.

Dive safe,
Dano

Nice. I wonder if flashers would have any effect on reef species.

The answer is YES, in many situations. We have seen groupers and snappers rise up off the bottom to inspect the flasher. We've seen groupers come 40 feet off the bottom in fact. In reality, groupers sometimes are schooling well off the bottom with no stimulus, but the flasher can help sometimes.

In some situations, the bottom or reef fish will be slightly attracted and distracted by the flasher and this can be the difference in getting a shot or not. Visibility needs to be reasonably good and flashers don't work on all fish nor in all situations, but they can make a difference. If the water is clear enough and not too deep, the flasher might be just enough to bring the fish close enough to the surface to be seen by a freediver resting on the surface - this can be very beneficial.

Sometimes it will just be a few juvenile fish or bait fish that are brought in to the flasher, but their presence may draw in other fish.

Many divers also use chum or burly in conjunction with a flasher. The scent and food may draw fish from further away and the visual stimulus may keep them around.

You might be able to tie it into the jug line, if you are using that, however the primary application is for freedivers who deploy it hanging down from a surface float that they tend to stay with.

Dano

You never cease to amaze me ! all your innovative products ! You are one I would like as a neighbor so we could chat diving --Do you recall the great Bottom Scratcher Wally Potts ? I used a Potts/Hoss long gun for years before I began making my own guns...I would call Wally and he would always end the conversation with "Come on down and we can talk guns" or at the end of a visit he would say "Come on back a we can talk guns"

( I have my two 6 &1/2 foot Potts/Hoss long guns at the side of my desk - treasures I will never part with in my life time)

re flashers -- what an innovative product !

In early spearfishing we made our own . Our fish was the very inquisitive California yellow tail

Initially is was fish lures with the barbs removed...didn't attract he fish as you would think & needed a lot of movement

Next we used the common and at that time free for the taking beer can church keys tied to the end of the gun.

It was the late John Gaffney who founded NASDS and had his dog certified as an PADI instructor who was also a great spear fisherman who used the recently developed tabs from a soft drink .. You needed a hand full to make a flasher,
but they brought in the fish.

Now for a few dollars a spear fisherman can have a tried and tested proven superior commercially produced product

Sir, once again I commend you

Sam Miller,111

Dr. Sam:

Thanks for sharing some of our tribe's history with us. I'm afraid Mr. Potts was before my time.

As for the flashers, we (and many other vendors offer a wide variety of products), but when I saw how effective these flashers are (first hand) - I decided we could put together the package and give divers and opportunity to make their own for very little cost. The flasher itself is not my idea, but assembling the DIY package (at a factory direct price) was mine.

Best Wishes!

Dano

Dano,
Some people who need an ego boost demand the use of Dr. I don't , so lets be friends it is Sam from this day forward
-- or --
if you like you can address me as "El Supremo" ....the choice is yours Sam or "El Supremo"

In the beginning we were all one big tribe united in purposes but separated by distance ..but some how we knew each other and some how we communicated- it was an exciting time to be a participant - clear water, lots of fish and always experimental equipment - every trip every dive was an experiment...now only $$$

Another item we use to use to bring the curious Yellow tail in closer was to tap on the gun's balanced bar with the ring finger to create a unique distraction.

Another was the toy cricket --Click ! Click! Click ! Click !

Cheers from Kalifornia - where it all began
Sam

Dano,
Some people who need an ego boost demand the use of Dr. I don't , so lets be friends it is Sam from this day forward
-- or --
if you like you can address me as "El Supremo" ....the choice is yours Sam or "El Supremo"

In the beginning we were all one big tribe united in purposes but separated by distance ..but some how we knew each other and some how we communicated- it was an exciting time to be a participant - clear water, lots of fish and always experimental equipment - every trip every dive was an experiment...now only $$$

Another item we use to use to bring the curious Yellow tail in closer was to tap on the gun's balanced bar with the ring finger to create a unique distraction.

Another was the toy cricket --Click ! Click! Click ! Click !

Cheers from Kalifornia - where it all began
Sam

Can we meet in the middle.. "El Samo" ???

El Samo is better than La Samo!

I will need to give it some very serious thought and discuss with my son Sam IV !~ For your information a little about my 6 ft 4 inch son who is a diver -- not merely one who dives
(I will erase this portion about Sam IV as soon as you have read it)

Dr. Sam Miller, IV was born into a pioneer Orange County, California diving family. He began his diving career as a toddler at a little over 2 years old in the bath tub sucking on a modified regulator which was attached to a Scuba tank on the bath room floor, by 4 using small MSA tanks and home back packs in a shallow "Do-boy" pool at 5 into the family pool and the Pacific Ocean

His initial open water dives were not to deep or too far from the beach, but he was underwater and he was a diver in his mind. He rapidly progressed in his diving skills and grew in stature. Prior to reaching his 10 birthday he had logged 100+ open water dives, on his 12 birth day he dove to 130 (oops! depth gauge was in error was to have been 100 feet).
At age ten he successfully completed the very difficult and demanding LA County and NAUI basic SCUBA course taught by Mr. Ron Merker, Outstanding LA county Instructor of the Year, holder of three spear fishing records, and recipient of DEMA's "Reaching Out' award.

At the ripe old age of 11 he also made his first dive in a Mark V helmet, the KM and Swindel hats at the Commercial Diving Center (CDC) in Wilmington, California -- he was large for his age-- the ole dad had connections with CDC staff and of course his dad fibbed a bit about his age.

During the summer of his 12th birthday he was accepted and successfully completed the 40 hour week long US Divers Equipment repair course under Bryan Miller, now the east coast US Divers sales representative. Because of his youth and excitement for diving he became a favorite of John Cronin, the then US Divers president and founder of PADI who presented him with a new set of equipment and several US Divers shirts. A few weeks later JY Cousteau sent him a personally autographed book

In high school he was an outstanding student, campus leader and athlete. He was active in his church and scouting and became an assistant scout master of his troop and rose to the rank of Eagle Scout.

His high school biology classes required a human performance experiment. Sam IV chose SCUBA diving fin performance. He contacted all of the manufactures who provided him with cases of fins to test. He went about developing a performance testing machine and establishing test criteria. He enlisted his youthful diving buddies and dad as test subjects. The fin that had the greatest overall performance was the Winoka "Planar" which had been designed by his father's former student Herb Van der pol. His 15 page evaluation report was given the grade of A+.

Concurrently he was active in SoCal diving circles; by his peers was considered a top hunter and spear fisherman ( free diving.) By the age of ten Sam IV had speared 100 fish (not too big and not to far from the tip of his spear gun.) When he turned 18 he applied and after 18 months as a provisional member was accepted as a full member of the famous Long Beach Neptunes Spear fishing club, the second oldest and most restrictive membership diving club in US

His talents and contributions were recognized when at age 18 he became the youngest diver listed in "Who's who of SCUBA Diving" published by the Academy of Marine Science and Underwater Research.

At Long Beach State (LBS) College he studied graduated with a degree in Micro-biology. During his tenure at LBS he was an associate investigator for a professional paper on "Oil consuming bacteria."

During his college weekends he was also deck hand on the dive charter boat "Golden Doubloon." This is the dive boat originally owned by the former California resident and world renowned treasure hunter, Mel Fisher, but then owned and operated by the well known Southern California charter boat skipper, Captain Greg Elliot.

In his "spare time" he designed and fabricated and sold custom wood teak spear guns. His guns had three unique features that set them aside as a truly custom weapon; a deep V track that offered minimal contact with the arrow, a custom length balance bar measured to the users arm length and a handle that was developed from a mold of the owners gloved hand in the shooting position . His ingenuity and skill as a custom spear gun maker was acknowledged by his friend the late E. R. Cross in his monthly Skin Diver Magazine column.

After receiving his BS and prior to entering medical school he was employed for a short time by large national pharmacological firm as a microbiologist. He set the national Microbiology board and was awarded the title of "Professional Microbiologist."

He began his diving career with 2 hose regulators. Over the years has amassed a rather presentable collection of these antiques. Therefore, it was logical that he become a charter member and active in the Historical Diving Society when it was established over 25 years ago.

He became a NAUI (Life) Instructor and taught SCUBA at one of the largest southern California dive shops. His NAUI instructor trainer was one of the best known southern California NAUI instructors but even the best courses never fully developed an effective instructor . To insure he would develop into a top instructor his initial classes were monitored and later critiqued by some of the outstanding instructors of the area. He rapidly advanced as a top instructorWhen the organization switched to PADI he became a PADI instructor

While employed as a SCUBA Instructor he convinced the corporate authorities of the company to donate 24 complete SCUBA units to established the second SCUBA Boy Scout troops in the US. He became and acted as a hands on scout master until he entered medical school

As a NAUI instructor he was eligible for the NAUI scholarship for the 2 week long Catalina chamber course-- he applied and won the scholarship. He completed the internship and became chamber qualified technician . Several years later during the annual Catalina "Chamber Days" there were two diving accidents; one fatal and one embolism which became a fatality. For the embolism he was the inside treating diving technician and made a 14 hour chamber ride - the longest ride in the history of the Catalina chamber.

While waiting to enter Medical school he began Tec- Mixed Gas diving with his good friend Jeff Bozanic making mixed gas technical dives to 300 and 400 feet on a regular basis off the California coast. He enter Medical school and was immediately elected student body President and held the position for all three years of schooling.

He interned in Dayton, Ohio and was appointed Chief intern--after one winter he discovered he was "a man of the west" so he returned to west for 4 year ER residency in Kingman Arizona.

During his last year in residency he was advised by his hospital director that there was a vacancy for a fellowship in Hyperbaric - Diving Medicine at University of San Diego Medical center. He applied. He was personally informed by the director of the Hyperbaric -Diving Medicine department that he had been granted the fellowship. The director indicated the hospital had never had any applicant as qualified as Dr. Sam IV. He had the most experience, knowledge and best over all qualifications of any applicant that had ever applied or was currently in the program.

He successfully completed his ER residency, moved to San Diego and began his Hyperbaric - Diving medicine fellowship which was completed in July 2008.

He was recognized by the prestigious SCUBA Schools International Platinum Pro 5000 dives award in May 2007and received the award in October 2007 in ceremonies at DEMA in Orlando, Florida. Life long friends and famous authors Clive Cussler and son Dirk presented him with his latest book personally inscribed by both himself and his son Dirk to commemorate the occasion.

Dr. Sam IV and his father Dr. Sam III are only the third father/ son to be so honored in the over 20 year history of the prestigious Pro 5000 award.

His first published professional paper "Anemia Case Series" was presented at the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Society annual scientific conference at Salt Lake City in June 2008

In 2008 Dr. Sam IV accepted a position as an ER/Hyperbaric doctor with Marion Medical center in Santa Maria. California and rapidly rose to the position of Director of the ER department.He is currently the diving medical officer for the Cal-Poly University and is a member of their diving control board. He presents lectures on Diving medicine to their Scientific Diving Program.

He is also the Diving medical officer for the San Luis Underwater Search and Recovery team. He also presents lectures on diving medicine at the San Luis Obispo UW Search and recovery team annual diving conference.

He also presents lectures on the recognition and treatment of diving accidents to the local first responders and ER hospital staffs with yearly updates.

He also present lectures at the annual SCUBA show in Long Beach California; 2015 "Medical implants and the diver"

Dr. Sam Miller,IV is a devoted husband with three lovely daughters is an exemplary human and a outstanding veteran diver who freely gives of himself and his knowledge and experiences and has distinguished him self in his professional life and in his life long leisure activity of recreational diving.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that the way it is in Kalifornia ~~where it all began !!!!!!!!!!!

El Supremo ( aka El Samo, aka Sam, aka Dr. Miller, aka Hey you!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom