Malapascua vs Sipadan vs Similan

Which dive location would you choose? Please give me your reason too, thank you :)

• Malapascua

• Sipadan

• Similan

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the other day that Sipidan has now
a) banned all diving in December (no real issue)
b) set a max of 3 dives per day. So no more 5 dive dive-days.

If my memory is correct there used to be a guard stationed there many yrs ago.
It is really annoying that dynamite fishing is still being practiced in the country.
SHAME

Well, instead of a guard, now there's a sunken statue of Mary. Seriously. They're using fear of god to scare away fishermen. Gato Island had almost zero fish when I was there in May. Reef was in decent shape though. My dive shop confirmed dynamite fishing is still a problem in surrounding area, which affects the whole ecosystem.

I would also suggest you try for a Tubbataha liveaboard in the Philippines during that time. You are traveling within the short time window that it is open (late March to early June) with the ideal time being mid April to mid May. It is arguably the best diving in the Philippines. I enjoyed it, and I also really liked Raja Ampat and Komodo (my 2 favorite places for warm water diving). Many whale sharks that swim by naturally there. Lots of sharks. Jesse Beazley reef is beautiful.

I dived the Similan Islands via liveaboard in April 2019. It was okay. Richilieu Rock is very good, but outside of that, everything else was pretty underwhelming. It's fine if you have never been, but I find the diving in the Philippines to be much better overall.

Back
Top Bottom