Malaria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Cj

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound
As far a I know (but I will ask the doc to be sure ) there is no vaccine for dengue fever..so avoid the skeeters...
Note: copious amounts of salva vada tend to help keep the bugs away ..lol
Hope you and Paul enjoy your stay
Have a good new year

If the snow gets to deep maybe i'll see you in febuary

Trevor

When i served overseas the Army tried to force us to take malaria meds. Those that did wished they didnt....some nasty side effects!!!

Jay

Looking around the web, and at Honduran medical statistics, makes it obvious that malaria is a real risk on Roatan; albeit a small one.

I went to a travel clinic and was prescribed Malarone (though given the choice of chloroquine instead). Although chloroquine is typically recommended for the bay islands; recent studies have shown Malarone to also be effective in preventing the p.vivax type of malaria found on Roatan (Malarone alone won't cure re-current p.vivax, but as a preventive the doctor mentioned its roughly as good as chloroquine).

Eg, see http://www.ajtmh.org/cgi/content/abstract/75/3/430

Since Malarone is expensive, money is probably the biggest factor to deciding whether to take it as opposed to the cheaper chloroquine. Personally I choose Malarone over [SIZE=-1]chloroquine[/SIZE] because you take it for much less time; and
I've taken it before with no problems.

Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor and this post is not medical advice, just my own experience from researching and speaking to one doctor.

Pony,

I fail to see the relevance of West Nile Virus and Malaria other than that both are spread by mosquito bites. The US has several contagious diseases, just as every nation does. Compare the Rabies infection statistics in the US with those in the Europe to see a scary reality - we are far less 'civilized' when it comes to prevention of some diseases than the rest of the world (~7400 human infections per year compared to ~5).

Debating the merits of taking preventative medications on a Scuba forum is nearly pointless. The CDC recommends taking the meds. DAN recommends taking the meds. Your doctor may or may not recommend taking the meds. If someone choses not to that is their choice, but it is against prevalent medical advise.

The odds of getting malaria in the Bay Islands are lower than many parts of the world, but are measurably higher than in the US or Europe. Most of us go to the Bay Islands on holiday and wish to come home in better or equivalent condition to how we left... taking the chance of contracting malaria seems foolhardy to my simple mind.

Those who decide not to take the meds do so at their own peril. Will, who has posted earlier in this thread, does not take the meds and has contracted malaria. While his case was not as severe as others, it should stand as testament to the potential for anyone to catch it. I trust and respect Will a great deal, but I choose to take the meds and will continue taking them when we go to Roatan to complete DM and IDC. :)

To each his/her own, but if you don't take actively try to prevent malaria, don't be upset if you get it. Lastly, if you use DEET to protect against bites please have the decency to wash it off before diving - the reefs take enough abuse from the bloody cruise ship passengers. :D

Back
Top Bottom