Maldives April 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Password

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

I hope you're doing good!

Currently I am in the process of booking our next trip to the Maldives. I am a beginner diver with 15 dives completed (PADI Open Water).
We are looking at data range end march - first two weeks of April 2020. I have done some searches online and found that, apparently, South Ari atoll (around Maamigili, Dhangethi) is the place you want to be for Manta rays and whale sharks.

Also found online an operator on Addu Atoll (all the way down south) which claims that Mantas can be seen all year round, with highest odds around Full moon (which is April 8th).

I was wondering whether you guys have any experience with this? I am very curious!

Many thanks and best

There are reef mantas at a site called Maa Kandu (Maa Corner). There were mantas when I dived there in 8 March 2019 (new moon).

There is also a site called Addu Rock (which may or may not be the same site as Maa Kandu). There were mantas when I dived there on 18 February 2019 (full moon).

Many thanks CWK!

These sites are all the way down south @ Maldives and sound very good. Generally speaking, would you say it's worth the extra travel time to fly out from Male? Or are the odds for Manta rays at Maamigili very much in our favour already that time of the year?

Our struggle is that we will most likely arrive at Male airport and want to visit Maamigili as well. This would mean travelling to Maamigili, back to Male, to Addu City, and back to Male.

Best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom