Maldives question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Everyone - I’m completely unfamiliar with the Maldives, but have seen a tempting resort offering. I was hoping to see if any of you are familiar with it or the diving nearby. This will kind of be a balance between a relaxing posh trip for my non-diving girlfriend, but also important to me that I get in at least a handful of good dives for myself - I was particularly hoping to do some Hanifaru Bay manta / whale shark dives. Does anyone have insight as to this resort or the quality of the diving that could be done from it? I’m not tied to this one in particular by the way, just attracted to the pricing and overwater bungalow accommodations, so please feel free to recommend other options. Thank you in advance!

Resort link: All-Inclusive Maldives with Free-Flow Cocktails & Return Flights from Malé, Kooddoo Island, Maldives

That is nowhere near Hanifaru, it's in Huvadhoo atoll. Should have som interesting diving there too though--haven't been there. Looks like a pretty resort. Island has an airstrip (which would make me weary), quite unusual for a resort island. Most are too small and reached with a seaplane.

Actually not that bad. It was my first time this far. We flew from Chicago on Qatar Airline, 15hrs to DOH (Qatar) and then a 10hr layover, followed by a 5hr flight to Male. Flight was about 50% full, every other seat was left open, we were given face shields to wear over our masks. We paid $60 to move to preferred seating which ended up being great because we only had 9pp for about 100 seats. We got 3 meals and free unlimited drinks, both non and alcoholic. When we boarded we we were provided a Safety Kit which included a disposable face mask, plastic gloves, and sanitizer. A little later we were provided a Comfort Kit which included a sleeping mask, socks, and lip balm. Lastly we were provided a pair of headphones, which were pretty comfy for being disposable. A note regarding the 10hr layover is DOH - there is a hotel in the airport where a room can be rented for approx. $265 USD for the 10 hours (includes 2 bottles of water, but no food). You do need to email the hotel for the rate as it is determined based upon hours of occupancy. There is also a lounge in the airport where a chair (like a lay-z-boy) can be rented for about $60 USD, and we were told it includes drinks and some type of food. This may not be a bad option, as we thought the price of food in the airport was fairly expensive for even casual food. You will want to rent your hotel room or lounge chair in advance, as we saw many people being turned away as the hotel was sold out.[/

I checked into the lounge was well worth the $60 considering the length of the layover. They have showers and provide amenities like tooth brush and tooth paste etc free of charge so you can freshen up. They do have a limit of I beleive 6 hours for your stay in the lounge but as my layover was during the late evening into early morning next day they were pretty relaxed with letting me stay an extra hour. Food options were sufficient, just remember if you would like an alcoholic drink just ask and they had beer and wine available. The Qatar team in the lounge were really helpful and friendly. There is free wifi and I had no problem finding a charging point for my phone and lap top.

This will kind of be a balance between a relaxing posh trip for my non-diving girlfriend

Man, idk, you lost me at non diving girlfriend... i made scuba a requirement upfront when i met my wife. Dealbreaker. I think you need a new gf that dives so u can go on the liveaboard :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom