Maldives: what makes it different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest "difference"?

For North Americans, it is the most common antipodal destination.

Just as for the Brits (and people who live in that Time Zone of 0 degrees Longitude), they get all fuzzy over the Galapagos.

It's the antipode, the other side of the world from where you're standing. For me, that's Maldives, Seychelles. It's therefor got to be the best.

Is the diving good enough to endure that air trip connection? I have no regrets about my liveaboard trips there. Have I bothered to convince my wife to go? No.

The Male airport and transfer system to your LOB or resort will be one of the stranger experiences of your travels.

????

Sorry, Doc, antipode ? I had to look that up.

I think for many, dive destinations are chosen by cost, quality of diving and ease of getting there. I could care less what is located exactly opposite side of the world from me.

A lot of people love Galapagos. It is a top destination because of consistency of diving with large pelagics like whalesharks, hammerheads, eagle rays, etc.. It is easily my #1.

What is so strange about Male airport and the transfer ?

I assume referring to the airport having docks instead of a taxi stand. You can get a van to the airport hotel if you're crashing there, but it's probably like 1000 feet. I don't know I'd call it strange, but it's a water world. Not much of anyplace to drive on most islands, even densely developed ones they're just not that big. Most transport will be boat, ferry, seaplane. You see some of that other places, but not to this extent.

I've done 4 videos on 1 week LOB trips. Perhaps they may give an insight into diving the Maldives.

12-19 May 2018

19-26 May 2018

25-31 August 2018

1-7 September 2018

I also have a clip shot on my phone from the back of the boat in February 2018

The biggest "difference"?

For North Americans, it is the most common antipodal destination.
Thanks for pointing that out. I never thought of it in those terms although I had noticed that I could get there by either flying (out of Toronto) across either the Atlantic (typically connecting in the Middle East) or across the Pacific (typically connecting through Hong Kong). Both are comparable in the price of airfare.

Until I read you post, I hadn't bothered to "put 2 and 2 together", and realize that I could use a dive trip to the Maldives as a way to fly around the world. For example, I could fly Toronto - Abu Dhabi - Male and then come home by flying Male - Hong Kong - Toronto.

Hmmmmm.

I might want to look into that.

Which boats and itineraries did you do ?
12-19 May 2018 - Emperor Leo, Pelagic Magic
19-26 May 2018 - Carpe Novo, Megafauna Migration
25-31 August 2018 - Carpe Novo, Male to Mamigili via Raa Atoll
1-7 September 2018 - Carpe Novo, Mamigili to Male via Raa Atoll
24 Feb - 3Mar 2018 - Carpe Diem, Gan to Kaadedhdhoo

The following are additional clips from the Carpe Diem trip:

@CWK, I see that 3 of the trips were on the Carpe Novo. That is the boat that I am looking at for the trip that I hope to take. How did you like it?

On the same note, here is some advice for those who don't like to spend a fortune:

Back
Top Bottom