Malpelo, when to go ... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you get to go but I honestly wouldn't hold my breath. Cali is the centre of the resistance in the National Strikes right now and the situation remains very unstable with lots of violence, road blockades, lack of public transport (taxis too fearful to be out, 61 intersections have no working traffic lights) etc....
Hmm, what’d be as plan B? Galapagos?

@Dom@DiveAdvice
What’s the status of GALAPAGOS MASTER July 12-19 at $2995 ?

My trip to Malpelo is a week away. I just received a message from a friend whose wife grew up in Cali. He said things are settled down now. But he warned that Buenaventura is NOT city to wander around alone in.

My trip to Malpelo is a week away. I just received a message from a friend whose wife grew up in Cali. He said things are settled down now. But he warned that Buenaventura is NOT city to wander around alone in.
Yeah Buenaventura is ugly, poor and very dangerous. Stay in the hotel if you have to spend a night there.

Reactions: Dan
Yeah Buenaventura is ugly, poor and very dangerous. Stay in the hotel if you have to spend a night there.
Thanks for the tip.

We are not planning to stay in Buenaventura. Ferox crew will pick us up from Cali Intercontinental and take us directly the boat. It’ll be the same way on the return. We will stay one night in Cali before and after going to Malpelo. Still crossing fingers.

Thanks for the tip.

We are not planning to stay in Buenaventura. Ferox crew will pick us up from Cali Intercontinental and take us directly the boat. It’ll be the same way on the return. We will stay one night in Cali before and after going to Malpelo. Still crossing fingers.
Cali is nice but you have to be careful there. My family is from Cali and I love the food, the people and the weather. Be careful with the call girls that hang around the Intercontinental. While you’re there try some “sancocho de gallina” or “chuleta valluna”

Cali is nice but you have to be careful there. My family is from Cali and I love the food, the people and the weather. Be careful with the call girls that hang around the Intercontinental. While you’re there try some “sancocho de gallina” or “chuleta valluna”
Thanks again for the tips! Looking at Sancocho de Gallina (Chicken or Hen Sancocho) | My Colombian Recipes
Colombian Breaded Pork Cutlets (Chuleta Valluna o Lomo de Cerdo Apanado) | My Colombian Recipes They look yummy!

If you want to eat something good, you may try Platillos Voladores, Av. 3 Norte. #7-19 (near by hotel Inter, 7 min walking).
At night, even if it is only 600m away, ask the reception to call a taxi.

Or, if you don't feel secure, ask a taxi to go to Chipi-Chape (a secured mall with many food places, try La Zarzuela ! )

Or, if you are not afraid and want to see the real life and eat like people from Cali, ask a taxi to go to galeria Alameda (calle 8) and eat something by "Basilia" and drink a delicious juice (jugo de lulo) !

If you want to eat something good, you may try Platillos Voladores, Av. 3 Norte. #7-19 (near by hotel Inter, 7 min walking).
At night, even if it is only 600m away, ask the reception to call a taxi.

Or, if you don't feel secure, ask a taxi to go to Chipi-Chape (a secured mall with many food places, try La Zarzuela ! )

Or, if you are not afraid and want to see the real life and eat like people from Cali, ask a taxi to go to galeria Alameda (calle 8) and eat something by "Basilia" and drink a delicious juice (jugo de lulo) !
I like the hotel at Chipichape and the restaurant at the hotel had the very best chuleta valluna. Take Ubers in Cali, never take a cab from the street. I actually have a guy for cabs that I use in Cali if you want his number.

Don't worry about the Buenaventura safety issue. They have actually done amazing work to revitalize the town centre near the harbour - they had brand new Subway and strip malls. I was impressed (after not having been in Southwest Colombia for a number of years)! They bus you in and then you do a short, accompanied walk to the port and are taken on a boat out to the main ship. They make sure they get you out of the harbour before dark and are mindful of timing when they return.

One additional thing about taxis in Cali is to ask your hotel concierge (or the Ferox personnel) for the taxi companies that use the Code System. There have been many secuestro express (or worse) involving people getting into taxis they think they called for but another taxi comes along and pretends they were the one called. If you call and get a code from the operator then the taxi you ordered should report the code to you. I also don't recommend asking waiters/bartenders etc or other strangers to make the call for you as the same scam can happen where you think they have ordered an official taxi for you but instead they called their friend who will rob you or worse. I lived in Cali and had no issues but you do have to be smart and apply your travel brain as opposed to the brain you use at home. I personally like the San Antonio hood for some food and drinks and it is close to the Intercontinental - just don't walk from place to place. If you are feeling a bit brave and want to enjoy Cali's wonderful salsa, I can recommend Topa Tolondra - it is usually half-filled with foreigners (which are welcomed there) but you will get to see locals enjoying and practicing amazing salsa as well (Cali is known for its salsa). I love Juanchito but think it is better off for more seasoned travelers that know the language and place.

I will be in Cali the night of the 8th and on the Ferox the 9th through the 18th. I will certainly let you know how it goes. I believe this is the 1st Ferox trip since the civil unrest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom