Malta and Spain no longer require medicals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Evans

"Mr Mares"
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Malta and Spain have finnaly dropped the requirement to hold a current dive medical, you can now self certify at the dive operator. Malta are using the HSE UK system, not sure about Spain

Also Malta have now legalised Nitrox for Rec diving, operators are reported to be fitting the eqiupment now :wink:

Thought this info may help someone :wink:

Not sure if spain and balearics count as same for ruling but i went to Ibiza last october and was allowed to self certify.

Mr Mares (or anyone else):
Do you know about any good dive-ops in Malta?
(preferably cheap too)

I´m thinking of going there in a few weeks and searching for it on the net, there´s just so many different shops that it´s hard to choose one...

I´d like to dive wrecks (have penetration training) and maybe take a cavern and or intro-to-cave course...

Suggestions anyone?

hey great to hear malta have finally allowed nitrox - there's so many dive sites on Gozo that would be great with nitrox.

Dive operators in Malta -

- At the North end of Malta I would use Strand diving. He rents CCR's fills trimix and above all he is very good at what he does. There is an excellent Sub (HMS Stubborn) at 50m about 1.5km off the coast and they can take you there.

- At the South end there is Ray of Aqua Bubbles. They are close very close to the Blenheim Bomber wreck.

- Up in Gozo I heard that Moby is very good. Gozo is 1st class for deeper and caves too. I love that island.

As far as wrecks what are planning to do? There are wrecks as shallow as 20m and down to 85m. I personally don’t fancy the purposely sunk once. But there are numerous WW2 and 1 wrecks around Malta. You just have to know the right people and be prepared to do some deep diving too.

Lawrence D

Glad to hear it. France seem to be going the opposite way and now have a one year medical requirement, plus a €46 licence. Great plan for attracting tourists no?

Chris

grazie42:
Mr Mares (or anyone else):
Do you know about any good dive-ops in Malta?
(preferably cheap too)

I´m thinking of going there in a few weeks and searching for it on the net, there´s just so many different shops that it´s hard to choose one...

I´d like to dive wrecks (have penetration training) and maybe take a cavern and or intro-to-cave course...

Suggestions anyone?

try LUNA diving in melieha bay, just at the point where the ferry goes to GOZO, very cheap, all english speaking and very friendly, cant recommend them highly enough. hope this helps. have info if required and still have a price list i think.

Since the subject has come up and we're giving recommendations....

I'm going to be in Malta for all of one day. Yes, it's a cruise -- heaven help me it wasn't my choice. Anyway... If I decided to dive, what options are there right around Valletta? I may not be able to make it up to Gozo due to time constraints.

I'd like to know where the information about these medicals has come from. Some dive centres are still insisting on a medical while others don't. If I can point them at something official it would help.

Hello everyone. New Law in Malta is that you fill out a Medical Self assesment form. Unless you are an Instructor and want to dive unaccompanied with a 1 Star or Open Water diver. Then you need to bring a medical with you, not have one done in Malta as previous Law. Cheaper to do it in Malta! The law is still the same as far as divers wanting to dive unaccompanied. You have to be minimum 2 Star or advanced to dive without a guide. Schools like MobyDives will ask for a medical for Open Water courses. This is my rule not Law and is for safety reasons only. Hope this helps. Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom