Malta Extradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well good! I can put Malta back on my long list of travel destinations.
Because you're now confident that if something bad happens you'll eventually get the charges dismissed?

I haven't seen anything yet about why the charges were dismissed, and whether or not here's any reason to believe that this won't happen again. I'd much rather see the ounce of prevention than have to supply the pound of cure.

Uh . . . tongue was firmly in cheek

Congratulations! What an unbelievable and sad saga. May peace be with the families and survivors.
markm

A report and synopsis of this sad case appeared in X-Ray magazine no. 71
X-Ray Mag #71 | X-Ray Mag
Very interesting. The full report, including an explanation of the dropping of the charges, does not give me a great deal of confidence that it could not happen again.

Because you're now confident that if something bad happens you'll eventually get the charges dismissed?

I haven't seen anything yet about why the charges were dismissed, and whether or not here's any reason to believe that this won't happen again. I'd much rather see the ounce of prevention than have to supply the pound of cure.

I have similar pause. My impression is that the charges were dropped solely because of political pressure exerted by BSAC and likely threatening the tourist industry -- not due to the cogent arguments presented in defense of Mr. Martin. For me, this was simply a failure in common sense that went way too far and it suggests an underlying problem that I doubt is fixed. This was a criminal prosecution, seeking to extradite Mr. Martin and deprive him of his liberty -- that is scary indeed if you have prosecutors who proceed on such a thin thread of assigning (criminal) responsibility for a terrible accident. I very much want to visit Malta, but this will influence my decisions.

Thanks emoreira,

That was a good article. And for an article, it seemed to cover the saga very well.

As for Malta being on my list again...NOT!

markm

Yes, thanks. This does nothing to make me feel any better about it either. As the article says, the Maltese government needs to clarify their position. Simply dropping a case without comment gives no reassurance that this will not happen again.

Unbelievable story. IMHO all divers are individually responsible for their OWN actions and well-being. Expecting a fully professional rescue from an insta-buddy spending his holidays is outrageous, it's like if I am hiking with someone in the mountains, he goes to the edge of a cliff, falls and I am held responsible. Even if charges dropped half a year later, defense costs an insane amount of money, restriction of movement will easily cost my job.

BTW, proving that someone was innocent underwater is futile, unless there is a video footage. However, I don't travel to 5-10k$ heavy diving trips for shooting criminal evidence - unless the "crime" is committed by a coral crab or clownfish against another colorful sea ceature...

Yes, thanks. This does nothing to make me feel any better about it either. As the article says, the Maltese government needs to clarify their position. Simply dropping a case without comment gives no reassurance that this will not happen again.
Don't they have precedence law?

Malta is not high on my diving list (it is there though), question: in which countries are buddies held accountable, sued, arrested for "bypassing" a dive accident (not acting absolutely professionally AND documenting innocence at the same time)? Not that I don't want to help, but definitely don't want to stuck in a case like this: Send Lawyers Guns & Money

- Valid, and still open question here:
British divers ask: “Why should I be locked up because I am the most experienced diver or dive professional on an unguided dive, when another diver has a fatal medical issue underwater, and despite doing everything possible to rescue them, they die?”

Last edited:
The Med has so many great places to dive...Malta will not be one of them for me.

I hope Martin can get some closure and return to life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom