• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Mammoth Lake 2020 Part 2

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Dan, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    @couv
    If you haven’t been diving on Kraken, I just browsed YouTube and watched this cool video by Sean Allison 2 years ago.

Captain Serg says the water surface temperature around Kraken would be about 82F, a 3mm wetsuit diving for me.

See you there in a couple days!

couv likes this.
  2. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    :) I just watched that video yesterday!

Yep, see you in a couple of days.

Dan likes this.
  3. Dan

Unfortunately the weather was not cooperating with 6-9’ waves. We’ll reschedule it to Nov. 21.

couv likes this.
  4. sea_ledford

sea_ledford Captain

If you get two dives on the Kraken, do the first on the bow, second on the wheelhouse. The bow is (or was, last I was out there three years ago) pretty amazing. You can also see the bent rail at the front of the hold that got damaged when one of the hold hatches blew off during the reefing.

HI-A-424-Kraken-45.jpg

Dan and couv like this.
  5. js1221

js1221 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Drove down to Mammoth Lake this weekend with friends for the first time diving there. Saturday was a beautiful day for diving but the lake was not cooperating. The water temp was a cool 74 degrees, which was not a problem, but visibility was only about four feet. I literally ran into King Kong before I saw it. We moved over to the main dock after the classes left and hit the T-38 and the C-130. Both were unrecognizable were it not for the tags on them. While we were disappointed with the dive, it happens. Spoke to several people who said this was the worst visibility in some time, so I guess it just wasn't our weekend.

couv likes this.
  6. Dan

Well, high seas forecast for tomorrow has prevented us to dive there. This is our 2nd try to dive Kraken. We haven’t given up, yet. We are going to try it again on Dec. 19.

Has anyone dove Kraken in December? Just wondering about the water temperatures and what would be lurking down there, hammerheads?

couv likes this.