Mamora Dive Center (St James Club) on Antigua - any comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So we are planning our next get-away. We're looking for something that is family (non-diver)-friendly as well as providing some decent diving for those that need to be underwater.

We are considering Mamora Dive Center as our dive op, and staying at the St. James Club.

Have any of you had experience with either the resort of the dive op that you would be willing to share?

I read somewhere else on here that since no dive op covers the major dive sites on the island, it's worth splitting between ops. What would you say about that? Would one dice op not provide enough interest for a one week dive vacation?

So.. what do we need to know, before making our final decision?

Saw elsewhere that there is no hyperbaric chamber on the island - is this something I should be concerned about (we usually make sure we have DAN insurance before we go).

(And I read about the whaling thing, which I have passed on to other members of the group, so that each can weigh that).

Last edited:
Yes you are correct unfortunatly at this time there is no hyberbaric chamber the nearest one is a short helicopter ride away. Not that you would need one since most dives around the island are not that deep.
Using several Ops would save you boat travel time as the sites are spread around the island The complete Antigua scuba diving guide covering dive sites and dive centres

As for the Whale Watching you would want to speak with Eli Fuller of Antigua Adventures - Eli Fuller he is the resident marine biologist and has done several whale trips. I do not believe he does dive trips but you can check.
As you know it's a hit or miss thing with whale watching but Eli will be your best resource.

Try to book your trips directly through the Operators it will save you a few bucks.
There is a new op that has just taken over an old op and appears to be offering packages. I have not tried them myself yet.
Dive Antigua Extreme Marine

When will you be traveling?
Living on a rock in paradise is hell

Thanks for the post - we're looking at the first week in September.

Thanks for the post - we're looking at the first week in September.

Don't stop your travel but just be reminded September is still hurricane season so I strongly recommmend you take trip insurance. It's really a great time of year to dive. I've gone many times to the Caribbean during huricane season and thats when the best deals are. Okay so now I live here.

Just to update you I did a dive this weekend with Dive Antigua Extreme Marine and they have a nice boat and the owner is a really friendly guy. They dive out of the English Harbour area which is one of the nicer areas.
He has a pretty good list of dive package trips. If you buy one of their Tshirts you will never get run over at night.:)

Hope you have a great stay in Antigua,
Regards,
The perpetual tourist

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom