Man rescued from submerged car sues dive team.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite possibly even the world! They are on satellite systems yanno.

I agree again.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 06:12 PM ----------

Maybe if I had made my sarcastic tone known with the post.

Even if I watched the video it wouldn't change my mind about the story. I don't really care where he came from what his race or anything else. What the guy is doing is flat out wrong. He should be glad to be alive. The responders should not have to go through what they are being forced to. Like I earlier in the thread, if it was me I would hang it up, if this kind of thing becomes common who are you going to get to be on the team? It sure as hell wouldn't be on my list of things to do for someone as appreciative as this guy is.

Sounds to me like they hauled the car up and found him inside. Wow. Hope they were using steel 120s for that depth. They assumed that he was dead despite people warning them. Someone give them a medal. Puhleez.

IOW I know as much about this story as you do. Or maybe you just got what you wanted to hear from Fox.

..., the guy got out with his life. He was the dumb ass that put himself in the situation to begin with.

And just HOW do you know this? According to the Notice of Action, his car was pushed into the creek by another vehicle. That car's driver is the primary cause of the accident. (and the potential lawsuit). If you understood just the tiniest smidgen of the law, you would realize that if his lawyer did NOT do what he did (sue all parties), he would be guilty of malpractice. He HAD to sue up to the amount of the cap; He had to sue the emergency responders - there was no choice.

If the guy had been a tourist from the UK, I suggest that no one would care about whether he was a US citizen or not. The "undocumented alien" angle stirs right wing conservatives into a frenzy and spuriously introduces the immigration angle.

Can we please stop trying to confuse dmoore19 with facts? They only damage his addled brain further. I can just take solace in the fact that no matter what anyone does to him, he will consider it his own stupidity and refuse to sue anyone.

If you understood just the tiniest smidgen of the law, you would realize that if his lawyer did NOT do what he did (sue all parties), he would be guilty of malpractice. He HAD to sue up to the amount of the cap; He had to sue the emergency responders - there was no choice.

Sounds like our laws are a tad bit f'n stupid and senseless, a burden on the legal system and all parties involved then doesn't it?

No way in the world any of that should be reformed! That would make us like Russia. :shakehead:

Next progression of our legal system should be a law that if you don't sue somebody at least once a year you are guilty of non-suery and subject to be sued for not suing anyone that year.

1. What the hell was he doing that he got shoved off into the creek? The flash flood warnings were out and had been. This was not a 1 day event. People had been advised to stay away from the water.
2. I don't care if he was from mars or venus. It makes no difference to me. The guy was a dumb ass and put himself into the situation that he should not have.

What part of this do you not understand? Where did I ever even hint that his nationality or race made a bit of difference? Dumb asses come in all races shapes sizes etc. This guy just happens to be dumb ass.

And just HOW do you know this? According to the Notice of Action, his car was pushed into the creek by another vehicle. That car's driver is the primary cause of the accident. (and the potential lawsuit). If you understood just the tiniest smidgen of the law, you would realize that if his lawyer did NOT do what he did (sue all parties), he would be guilty of malpractice. He HAD to sue up to the amount of the cap; He had to sue the emergency responders - there was no choice.

If the guy had been a tourist from the UK, I suggest that no one would care about whether he was a US citizen or not. The "undocumented alien" angle stirs right wing conservatives into a frenzy and spuriously introduces the immigration angle.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2014 at 08:49 AM ----------

If I was dumb enough to go places where the flood warnings were in place, I wouldn't be entitled to sue someone who pulled my dumb ass out of a life threatening situation, so no I wouldn't sue somebody if the whole thing was caused by me being a dumb ass. The attitude of a wanting a free ride for my own stupidity is where this country is going. I can hear it now.

[video=youtube;3JJ700tVT_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJ700tVT_0[/video]

Can we please stop trying to confuse dmoore19 with facts? They only damage his addled brain further. I can just take solace in the fact that no matter what anyone does to him, he will consider it his own stupidity and refuse to sue anyone.

Sounds like our laws are a tad bit f'n stupid and senseless, a burden on the legal system and all parties involved then doesn't it?
There is no question that at times our laws are overly complex and even at times what is the legal letter of the law and what seems just or fair may differ. But contrary to popular misconception most of the time maybe 80 % our laws and justice system actually work quite well are logical and just.

Unfortunately that 80 % does not make good theater so does not make the "news". What makes the "news" and gets repeated ad nauseam are the exceptions, that buy promotion seem to be the norm. Again not addressing this particular case, and regardless of popular misconception and talk show hype, most law suits do in fact have legal merit. No question that finger pointing, blaming the other guy, and not taking self responsibility is a problem, but really only exceptionally does that reason alone result in a law suit. And even more rarely actually prevail.

No way in the world any of that should be reformed! That would make us like Russia. :shakehead:
I realize you are being facetious BUT Actually that is completely backwards if your speaking about the US and the old Soviet Union. The truth is because of our system we can and should reexamine and in fact reform our laws and we do so all the time.
Granted at times it seems somewhere between monumental and futile.... BUT the good news is ... We are also free to just bitch about them and not really do anything to change them, or make mounds of entertainment revenue highlighting then exaggerate and pontificate on any perceived anomaly, exception, real or imagined, out of context or factual. And back to this case in point the whole issue of his legal status is in fact buy our system of justice totally irrelevant and should be, and perfect example of OUT of Context BS becoming "news" :angrymob:

(Not saying this has anything to do with you) just pontificating:bonk:

Last edited:
So to sum up what we have learned :

This guy is doing nothing wrong, the legal system is the culprit because the current laws require someone to sue inncent people in order to be able to sue guilty people, the innocent just get caught up in our legal system, have to spend money to defend themselves, tax money is wasted.. etc.. etc.. etc..

... and that's A-okay.

Is this correct?

A) It's okay, I like it this way just fine
B) It's okay, but I really don't like it, but the alternative is Russia, there is no common sense middle ground like fixing it, only Russia is the only outcome if any changes are made.
C) It's not okay and only idiots would ever choose any choice other than C.

I can tell you what my answer to all this is. - C

Why is this in the PSD section?

---------- Post added March 14th, 2014 at 02:59 PM ----------

sure.
1. Communicate to the surface that you made contact and to keep tension on the line holding you in one place
2. break the glass and look inside -- a person in the car breathing in an air pocket would be likely to grab your arm
2a: found someone? call for help
3. stay on the upstream side in case there toxins being released from the car
4. when search is complete, make a brief excursion to the downstream side to check for any bodies

total time: roughly 2 minutes (after finding the car)...why would you be in a hurry?

Really???

If you can safely and effectively do this, you have an OPEN invitation to come teach my team, because you are FAR better than I am.

And what if this turned out to be a crime scene?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom