Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

American Pro is a piece of crap! What say we all email them a copy of this. Or better yet email a copy to the the fish and wildlife comission. Video proof of their activities may get some action against these scum bags. Getting in front of me or kicking at my gear would have gotten somebody a bit more trouble than they would have liked. How about calling them and asking to book a mantee wrangling trip? What if everybody who saw this thread did it. Would tie up their phone lines pretty good.

I just watched the entire video. I'll be calling those pricks tomorrow. I sincerely hope that the OP will send this to Florida officials along with a letter or email adivisng them that if they do not take some action he'll make it and the letter advising fish and game of these activities available to the media. Asking why fish and game did nothing.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

i have emailed American Pro advising them of this thread and inviting them to comment

cheers

Who is that doing that? Who is the "Captain" who is grabbing that manatee by the fin? Has thus film been sent to the authorities? You filmed them, you know who they are, this film should be sent to the authorities and the news and the elected officials and the sheriff.

N

Who is that doing that? Who is the "Captain" who is grabbing that manatee by the fin? Has thus film been sent to the authorities? You filmed them, you know who they are, this film should be sent to the authorities and the news and the elected officials and the sheriff.

N

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well.

What about all the other operators in the area? If they know about this, if they have some actual footage, maybe they can do something locally.

Which makes me even sicker to wonder; all the yahoos who get the rental boats what clue do they even have on how to interact with these helpless creatures?

I'm still sick to my stomach.:(

I do know who most of them are and that information is being and has been passed to the authorities as well as being given to the Fish and Wildlife commission currently developing a comprehensive conservation plan. Unfortunately either lack of funding, manpower, or willingness to enforce has prevailed thus far. This is why the video stresses us consumers needing to be vocal and spending our money with the right people. It is the only way I can think of to create a groundswell that will affect change.

American Pro were the ones who blocked me, gave the Manatee Watch volunteers a hard time, and who rounded up a manatee for the kids in the second video.
( YouTube - Harassment or Education? )

The people who were seen riding the manatee in the opening grainier shots were boat renters who were suppose to have watched the manatee manners video. These boats are rented from tour operators. All the other abuse shots were from tour operators and their guests.

Edited because I was going to rip the OP a new one for not turning this over to authorities. I see he has. Perhaps calls to fish and wildlife as to why they are doing nothing. When was this taken so if I call them I can reference it. If you want a groundswell you need to post the unedited unblurred video. People need a clear target or even reputable ops will get hurt by this.

I've been lucky to be in the water with a manatee and it come up and "nuzzle"? me to see what i was. I was sickened when i saw the two videos. If people were to just stay still instead of trying to keep up with the manatee, they get curious and come to see what you are. If something big was chasing me i'd panic too.

I think if FWC got alot of calls about this they would do something about it. If not go over their heads. I plan in the morning to call FWC and ask why they have done nothing about this. I am also walking across the street in the morning and having the Marine Lab take a look at what is going on and get them involved in this.
I plan on calling some of my friends in Crystal River and e-mailing them about this to see if they can do something.
This crap makes me very very MAD
icon8.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom