Manazuru Dive Report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After a few weeks of intention, I finally made it to Manazuru.

The site is on a relatively isolated and quiet part of the Izu East coast, suprisingly close to Atami, and just North. The name of the dive center I had information about was KOGOTAHAMA DIVE CENTER 0465-68-5814.

I wanted to try this site because it is relatively close to my house (about an hour w/o traffic) and it is rumored to be inexpensive. The pricing information I had was: facility fee 500 Yen, Air tank 2,000 Yen, refill 1,000 Yen making the total for a two tank dive 3,500 Yen, or 3675 with tax.

The center is a one man show, with ferocious German Shepard side kick. Really just an addition to his house, which is right across from the ocean. Adequate for up to about 10 to 20 people I'd say. Being it was a weekday, I was diving there alone.

The ocean there is quite beautiful. Nice rockly shoreline, with plenty of tide pools and little critters for your kids. A very reasonable entry, people swimming and snorkeling up and down the coastline. I was totally surprised by the abundance and variety of marine life.

My first dive, I descended into a school of huge seabass, I'd say 70 cm average length. Lots of octopus, nudis, crabs, all kinds of fish, some really huge parrots...

The site is rocky close in, turns to kelp about 30 meters out, then to a sandy bottom at around 50 to 70 meters out. The limited depth makes it a perfect snorkeling site, but for scuba that may be a downside for some. The max depths of my two dives were 36 and 37 feet, but they were over an hour each, and I enjoyed every minute.

The price was more than I had initially heard, 3,000 Yen for the first tank, bringing the total to 4,500 Yen for the two dives, excluding tax. Still not bad by standards here.

Another surprise, he only fills his 12L Steel tanks to 150 bar. When I asked why, he said something like, "Well, it's so shallow...". Read, "Well, I might only sell you one tank if I filled it all the way...".

I'll have to set that straight next time. Only here could you spend almost 30 bucks on a tank fill that is only 3/4 full...

JAG

Actually, the filling to 150 bar is quote common. One place I know which delivers tanks has 2 prices, one for 150 bar, and a little higher for 200 bar.

You're also lucky to get 12 liter tanks for a beach dive. The steel 10 liter tank is the de facto standard in all of Izu.

Hey, can you explain in the same units, instead of mixing meters and feet? I was getting all excited, a big dropoff of 36 meters until I realized you were talking in feet...

Next time, drive 10 minutes more and dive at Iwa. However, they will not let you solo dive there, as almost all places in Izu. You might be able to get away with it in a crowded area like Osezaki.

It is a local 'rule' in Manazuru that high pressure tanks can only be filled to 150 bar... at least I was told so by the owner of the other shop.

Jim, it is much nicer and safer to dive with someone.

Thomas

Thomas, remember that Jim is certified as a TDI/SDI "Solo Diver".

But I doubt he had a pony bottle...

CESA from 9-10 meters? Should be no problem.

Regarding "high pressure" tanks, I'm sure that they were the standard low pressure type steel tanks.

Standard fill pressure is actually 180 bar (I said 200 bar to make it more simple to distinguish from a 150 bar fill and that's how they notate it on the price lists) which is around 2610 psi.

I still think it is safer and more fun to dive with friends ;-)
Without a pony bottle? Noo, he is too smart. He wouldn't break the safety standards.

No, they actually only fill to 150 bar in Manazuru. Okada-san, the owner of Manazuru Diving Service, who I know said the tanks can only be filled to 150 bar according to local laws (I have no idea if these laws exist of course). I guess they still use the same tanks as when diving in Japan first started - in Manazuru.

Thanks to all for the concern...
Didn't mean for this to turn into a Solo diving debate, hopefully it won't become one...

Dove with a 13cf pony...

Interesting about the history of 150 bar fills, my first experience with this...

The 12L steel is really nice with the BP/W, in terms of trim!!!

JAG

Back
Top Bottom