Manila taxi drivers on the meter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So can Manila taxi cab drivers make a living on the meter? I ask this because as a foreigner it seams they all want to get at least 300 pesos from me to drive to the airport from the Makati area. I don't think I should have to subsidize or pay more than the locals. It usually ends my vacation on a sour note as I leave for the airport. Maybe I could have handled the altercation with the driver a bit better than I did.

I asked the hotel doorman to hail a cab for me. The cabby had a 162.5p fair I had to remind him to erase from the meter. As I told him I needed to go to the international airport he immediately said he needed 300p because of bad traffic (Tuesday morning about 10am). Tired of the usual plea, I said "B--- S---" go by the meter or I'll get another cab. He just gave me an evil stare and shut-up the whole way with repeated glares in the rearview mirror. I got out at the airport and he opened the trunk for my luggage and I handed him 140p for a 130p meter ride. He just continued to glare at me and got back in the cab.​

So I guess I was a bit crude and direct in my reply but most of the time the drivers who want a negotiated fare have one of the following characteristics; no aircon or poorly working one, rude manners, bad driving, dirty interior, poorly maintained car - bad brakes, no door handles, etc. If they want a tip for their services I would think some pleasant banter and other accomodation would accomplish more than getting an occational big fare from a too busy to argue foreign traveler. In general in the Cebu area I rarely get a driver who tries to pull one over on me and they quickly desist after I insist on them using the meter.

So that's the whole story. I know fuel prices are rising and they just adjusted bus and jeepney fares and I was wondering how difficult it is for the taxi drivers.

Thanks. - Just another ugly Kano.:D

ya here in Bali there is only one taxi company to go with, the rest are the same as manila ones... try to rip you off... so if you go to Indonesia always look for a Blue Bird taxi

There are a lot of taxi drivers in Manila that make almost nothing with the fuel prices as high as they are. I drive now but even a year ago I was talking to taxi drivers who might make 50 or 100 pesos for a 12 hour shift. It's worse now.

I did get a bit pissed when they asked for a flat rate fee but hey, you know Manila traffic. I actually enjoy driving in Manila if the traffic is moving a little, even though it seems like most drivers are trying to kill me...:D

you drive in Manila Dennis?!?! hahahaha fun!

Not sure i would be up for that. Bali is certainly Manila light, and i have to drive on the wrong side :D so i mostly keep to my mountain bike instead

Jason, the taxi driver gave you that look, because you're a kano and you didn't let him rip you off - well done..

Don't worry Jason, I have the biggest urge to do that as well. You just blurted out what everyone's thinking when they try for a fixed rate.

aha! my favorite kind of people in manila---taxi drivers!!! they're all the same...you can buy their soul for an add'l P20 on top of the meter rate.

i agree with caloy, just get another cab.
or, do what i do when i'm pissed... i agree to what he would ask for, then i make sure to send a text message to the sunog baga gang (goons) at our place to wait for me...(i usually tell them that i'm buying drinks)...then when the cab arrives at our place...well, my friends will be waiting...and the driver will thank me if i let him live another day to drive. :bigun2:

I was just in Manila today Mike and I see they are cracking down on all the illegal buses. Out of 3,500 buses on Edsa 1,000 are illegal. They are the worst, they try to kill me at least 4 or 5 times a day there... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom