Manta or sharks right now in the Baa area? (MV Monsoon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Venus,
last week we had some mantas in Hanifaru (baa) area and off course some sharks up in Lhaviani Atoll. I am sure Chris the Cruise manager onbaord the Monsoon will know where to go, he is there since ages and you will have a good time.

Two weeks ago: North Malé no manta's, some Eagle Ray's and of course white tip reef sharks.
[video]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/465073-maldives-august-2013-a.html[/video]

Nothing is guaranteed but mantas and sharks can be see all year in the Maldives. Would depend a lot on where the boat is going. A good cruise director helps as well as a bit of luck. Have seen mantas and reef sharks on all 3 of my liveaboard trips (Feb and Aug 2010, and Jul 2013). Last trip in July we had mantas, loads of reef sharks and a whale shark.

I dove from a resort in Baa atoll, it was really disappointing. I have been meaning to get back to the maldives and do a liveaboard to really see what the Maldives has to offer. I did my AOW course there and several other fun dives, but never saw 1 shark. We were lucky to see one manta underwater and many others from the surface. It was a fun trip with friends, but the diving was really lacking, it could have been the dive shop was quite poor at picking locations (everything else with the shop was disappointing also). I also thought Hanifaru Bay is closed to divers and even snorkelers now, but I could be mistaken.

It's true that mantas and whalesharks can be seen year-round in the Maldives... but not at every site, and not at any time... all at once. I get comments like this fairly regularly.

The atolls differ- some are reknowned for grey-reef sharks, some for mantas/whalesharks, some have good biodiversity, some are remote, some are now getting crowded, some have surfing spots. It's all the Maldives, but we're talking about a country over 900km in length, 26 atolls, almost 2000 islands in a 90 000 square kilometer area.

Manta feeding frenzies like those sometimes seen in Hanifaru are actually quite rare- specific conditions must come together and those conditions are either not well known or impossible to predict (like predicting the weather- they get it right maybe half the time at best).

I consider Laamu Atoll a good atoll for grey-reef sharks however the numbers increase dramatically in the NE Monsoon (Dec-April). I still see a couple at this time of year but not 25+ like in the 'shark season'. For my money, if you want whalesharks, the most regular spot is Maamigili, South Ari Atoll. Mantas frequent this area during the NE Monsoon, but individuals can be seen at any random time during the year.

Right now, at this time of year, mantas are more on the eastern fringes of the atolls. We had a couple yesterday playing around in very shallow water (3ft) on the outer reef.

Given the strength and consistency of the S/SWwinds this last fortnight, I'd imagine sightings are increasing at Hanifaru right about now.

This pdf. may provide some information, but it's important to understand that nothing can be even remotely guaranteed when it comes to aquatic animals, as so little is known about their environment.
http://www.mantatrust.org/wp-conten...an-Manta-Ray-Project-2011-Research-Report.pdf

Hi Supergaijin

Thanks so much for this paper, it's very interesting.
I was in the Maldives on a 'Manta Madness trip' mid Sept 2011, and I support the findings that there were very few Manta around at that time.
I'm hoping next week will be different.

Take care

Vx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom