Manta Ray Research Internship in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deakos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
The Hawaii Association for Marine Education and Research is seeking interns for three-week spots in Maui to assist with a research project to help protect HawaiiÃÔ largest marine resident, the manta ray. While diving alongside these majestic mantas, interns will work closely with a University of Hawaii Ph.D. student to learn valuable research techniques used in data collection and analysis. These graceful giants are currently unprotected in Hawaii and face serious threats from direct and indirect fishing, aquarium collection, and irresponsible commercial dive operators. This much needed research will contribute to the ongoing efforts to understand and protect MauiÃÔ resident manta ray population.

Applicants must have: 1) a minimum of two-years of college in a science program, 2) an ÅÂdvanced level dive certification or higher, 3) be in good physical condition and capable of lifting 50 lbs, 4) a commitment to pursuing a career in marine science. Preference will be given to applicants with prior experience with photo-identification and line-transect surveys.

Internship cost is $2,100 US and includes 21-days of housing on Maui, a $300 food stipend, a minimum of six research dives, all tanks and weights, and all field research training and lectures. Cost does not include travel to and from Maui. Full dive gear can be provided for an additional $300.

Please forward this posting to any likely candidates that you may know.

... These graceful giants are currently unprotected in Hawaii and face serious threats from ..., and irresponsible commercial dive operators. ........

Internship cost is $2,100 US and includes 21-days of housing on Maui, a $300 food stipend, a minimum of six research dives, all tanks and weights, and all field research training and lectures. Cost does not include travel to and from Maui. Full dive gear can be provided for an additional $300.
I'm not interested in paying $2,100 to be an intern, but your comment about "irresponsible commercial dive operators" got my attention.

How are dive operators a serious threat to Mantas?

Any dive operators in particular?

I'm not interested in paying $2,100 to be an intern, but your comment about "irresponsible commercial dive operators" got my attention.

How are dive operators a serious threat to Mantas?

Any dive operators in particular?

I am sorry to hear that you won't be one of my future interns Charlie but thank you for your question.

First, I just want to add that most dive operators, especially in Hawaii, are very respectful of their natural resources, especially since they rely on them for their livelihood. For example, most of the manta ray dive operators in Kona do a great job and the industry seems to have minimal impact on the animals, possibly even some benefits (fishing line removal), and appears to be sustainable. Most dives are carried out at night and divers are "seated" on the bottom in a restricted area with their lights (non-coral area). The lights attract the plankton which in turn attracts the manta rays. The manta rays have the option to feed for an hour or so each night on this artificial aggregation of plankton. The divers are not trampling the reef or chasing/touching the mantas. The mantas will then feed on natural food distributions for the remainder of the night.

My concerns are mostly with daytime operations around manta ray cleaning stations. These are naturally occurring aggregations at very specific sites where the mantas spend a great deal of time getting rid of the thousands of festering parasites that cover their bodies (mostly small copepods). By having a slew of free roaming divers at the cleaning stations, chasing and touching the mantas, this could lead to significant impacts if uncontrolled, and possibly drive the manta rays out of these unique areas. The significance of this displacement is unknown since we don't really know what is so special about these habitats and why the manta rays choose to use them as cleaning stations. We also don't know how many habitats of this sort exist around the islands. Considering we don't find many manta ray cleaning stations (unlike the turtle cleaning stations), it would appear that these habitats are somewhat rare and therefore any displacement could be significant.

I think much of this is an awareness issue and that most divers (not only commercial operators), if made aware of the concerns, would be respectful of the animals and their habitats.

I hope this answers your question.

The Hawaii Association for Marine Education and Research is seeking interns for three-week spots in Maui to assist with a research project to help protect HawaiiÃÔ largest marine resident, the manta ray. While diving alongside these majestic mantas, interns will work closely with a University of Hawaii Ph.D. student to learn valuable research techniques used in data collection and analysis. These graceful giants are currently unprotected in Hawaii and face serious threats from direct and indirect fishing, aquarium collection, and irresponsible commercial dive operators. This much needed research will contribute to the ongoing efforts to understand and protect MauiÃÔ resident manta ray population.

Applicants must have: 1) a minimum of two-years of college in a science program, 2) an ÅÂdvanced level dive certification or higher, 3) be in good physical condition and capable of lifting 50 lbs, 4) a commitment to pursuing a career in marine science. Preference will be given to applicants with prior experience with photo-identification and line-transect surveys.

Please forward this posting to any likely candidates that you may know.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the internship. I'm currently in my second year of undergraduate studies at the University of Miami, majoring in Marine Science and Biology. I also have my Advanced Open Water certification (PADI) with the Deep Diver Specialty. Almost all of my labs have required work with line-transects and quadrats so I'm familiar with those types of surveys.

I'll send you a private message with my contact information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom