Mantamatcher.org

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've submitted to the Ecocean Whaleshark database. Now my buddy gets an update whenever "his" is spotted. They're legit if that's the question.

Yes they do look like legit but the web site doesn't seem very well utilised, having only 44 mantas in their database. Made me wonder whether it's a failed experiment, even though it's a great idea. But if people are still getting updates, they must be live..
I submitted a sighting but haven't received any response so far. I got quite a few more that I haven't submitted yet. :wink:

About ECOCEAN:

ECOCEAN works to generate public awareness for marine conservation issues. ECOCEAN also encourages and facilitates quality research to provide important information (data) to assist with 'best practice' management for the future conservation of the marine ecosystem. Often, important research and the associated gathering of data can be achieved with the help of the public - via simple community monitoring projects. Founders of the group (Brad Norman & Rhiannon Bennett) have continued to undertake research and campaign for the conservation of the whale shark since 1994.

Maybe it's a fairly new initiative.

Hey, I'm Libby, of Foundation for the Protection of Marine Megafauna - mantamatcher is our baby! With 10 years of manta ID shots and wanting to unite worldwide manta conservation efforts, we developed this database to enable researchers from every corner of the world to upload and organise individually identified manta rays. This means that anyone with a camera and some can-do attitude underwater can contribute to the vital studies and conservation of these beautiful, threatened animals by uploading their photos for the cause.

It is our expectation that researchers will ultimately be able use sightings data to determine the abundance, trends, movements, and population structure of manta ray populations at individual aggregation sites across the globe. Using encounter photos and encounter information with mantas, you too can help update and maintain this global database.

If you're wondering where all our mantas are and why they aren't up on ECOCEAN MantaMatcher yet, we've soooo many to upload that we currently have a very clever computer programming guru working on a complexed collection of computer codes to automate and perfect the process! So, the NASA technology is grinding into action and very soon there will be thousands of entries for you to peruse... pretty cool, eh?!

When you upload a manta photo and it has been identified, either as a new individual or a resighted individual, you will even be e-mailed every time it is resighted and kept abreast of its progress and whereabouts, making you feel part of the global efforts on an ongoing basis. Become part of manta conservation history...

This project is supported by multiple manta ray research programs from across the world; including Laje Viva Institute in Brazil, the Pacific Elasmobranch Foundation in Ecuador, Project Manta in eastern Australia, HAMER in Hawaii, and the Maldivian Manta Ray Project.

If you have any questions about it, take a peek at our website ECOCEAN MantaMatcher to see how it works, or e-mail me at libby@marinemegafauna.org.

Thanks for reading and we hope to see you guys making mantamatcher the most amazing thing to happen to manta science and conservation efforts!

I have submitted my images to The Manta Trust - they found me and invited me to submit to their Mexico study. I had many great manta shots from my Isla Mujeres whale shark trip so I submitted. I am quite excited to submit again this year - I am hoping some are the same individuals. They let me name one of the mantas in the database.

Wrote a blog about the whole thing. Manta Trust Launches Mexican Caribbean Project | Photography Safaris and Underwater Adventures

I think whichever organization you contribute to it is all good and can only help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom