Mantis M2 Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All,

I recently bought a brand new M2 computer with the wireless transmitter. I originally had the transmitter mounted to an Oceanic first stage and didn't have any issues. After about 15 dives I changed my regulator to a MK25/A600 regulator. After only a few dives I noticed that my RTB would only show "- -" for most of the dive and occasionally the PSI would blank out and show "- - - -". I trouble shot the issues over the course of about 10 dives with no marked improvement. I returned to the dive shop where I purchased the computer and the owner went out of his way to replace the computer for me. So I'm on my second M2 and have about 6 dives on it now and am again having the same issues. If I dive with my hand on my shoulder strap the entire dive, it appears to be good, but if I move my hands down to my waist or across my chest, I lose it again.

I've got the transmitter mounted on the left side of the first stage, the side I wear my computer on. I'd like to be able to troubleshoot this and fix it, I really do like the computer and the layout. I've recently ordered a HP port spliter so that it'll mount the transmitter at a downward angle instead of straight out to see if that'll help. Does anybody have any insight on anything I can try? Anybody own one that they aren't having issues with, how do you have it mounted (side/direction) if you do?

I don't have an air integrated computer but have had several Scubapro computers. Have you contacted Scubapro yet? I have had success with solving problems by contacting them directly.

Yeah, I was trying to work with them with the first computer I had. That conversation resulted in send us the logs, then send us the computer. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the computer since I'm on my second and am having the exact same issue.

I have just returned from a dive trip. My M2 is paired with an older transmitter (used it with my Luna) and I had no problems at all. A mate has the M2 with a new "smart" transmitter and he had intermittent transmission issues. Scubapro also checked his unit and found no problems.

Nick, that's what I'm thinking the issue is, the new transmitters are "weak". I normally dive with my hands out in front of me for quick and easy access to my computer, when I do that I consistently lose the signal. However, if I dive with my hands on the alternate elbow, I keep the signal 100% of the time. I've tried a multitude of things, including swapping the side the transmitter is mounted on, none of which have made significant improvements to performance. The answer may simply be to get my hands on an older transmitter and/or just change habits and swim with my arms tucked at my waist.

You could try your transmitter on a short HP hose, might be a cheaper option than finding an old style transmitter.

Could also be a low transmitter battery. Mine lost range significantly when the battery ran low. Additionally, mine came from the factory with a low battery, probably from being on the shelf for a while, so it could be those having issues with the new transmitters having low range could have weak batteries. I know as soon as I changed my transmitter battery I no longer had any issues losing signal.

Ok, me again - see my post a couple of posts up.
Today I did a dive with my M2 and lo and behold, it kept losing pressure reading and showing ---. For the second dive I decided to pair both the M2 as well as my trusty Galileo to the same transmitter. What I found was that the M2 behaved as before, I.e. It lost pressure repeatedly whilst the Galileo didn't lose pressure at all.

The transmitter I use is an older unit which is about 2 years old (not one of the new "smart" ones). I wore the transmitter on Scubapro Mk25 on the left side. M2 on left wrist and Galileo on right wrist.

I have asked Scubapro locally to comment and await their feedback.

Cheers,
Nick

Ok, me again - see my post a couple of posts up.
Today I did a dive with my M2 and lo and behold, it kept losing pressure reading and showing ---. For the second dive I decided to pair both the M2 as well as my trusty Galileo to the same transmitter. What I found was that the M2 behaved as before, I.e. It lost pressure repeatedly whilst the Galileo didn't lose pressure at all.

The transmitter I use is an older unit which is about 2 years old (not one of the new "smart" ones). I wore the transmitter on Scubapro Mk25 on the left side. M2 on left wrist and Galileo on right wrist.

I have asked Scubapro locally to comment and await their feedback.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still having issues with my M2 when it's moved further away than about 3 feet from the transmitter. As I was saying earlier, I've had to adjust where I place my hands during a dive to ensure I don't lose the signal, that seems to work for the most part. I'm certain that it's a design flaw, as I've had 2 brand new computers and transmitters now and both operated the same. If the answer is to utilize the old transmitter, that's a fairly easy fix but painful after the initial price of the computer. I really wish Scubpro would address this issue on some level, I've put in a couple of trouble tickets to them and the answer is always to send my computer into them.

Kevin

anyone here know how to get the m2 and the heart rate monitor to communicate? i just bought one two days ago and in sport mode when i switch to the HR setting it just displays "--" . I have not dove it yet does the HRM automatically communicate when diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom