Mantis Shrimp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was very surprised when told that mantis shrimp was served in seafood restaurant in Penang, Malaysia... The Wiki article cleared the doubts...
I agree with Bob, they make great photo subjects!

Roy was one of my professors at Cal, he had a hand damaged by a Mantis shrimp.

A friend of mine from the Philippines sent me pictures of brightly colored mantis shrimp in a Manila fish market. Another from Singapore sent pictures of some beauties. Ours is at its best when the males are in breeding coloration.

Bill, I can still see you following/taping that mantis into the depths when we dived at Blue Car Wreck.:wink:

Here's a pic of one that we see in our own backyard here in La Jolla:
2942213147_dc03bab8d9.jpg

I found this guy on a night dive at 80 fsw on the South Walls at La Jolla Shores. Apparently the more common Southern California variety is Hemisquilla californiensis.

Here in south Louisiana we'll eat anything that won't eat us first. Cajuns on the coast call them "Thumbsplitters" because the shell is so had to peel after you boil them up. I had one in an aquarium once, and it damn near ate everything in the tank. They are very active hunters.

He is a short video of one we saw a few months ago.

I spear them out of their holes with a pole spear, and they are tasty! If you are not carefull, they can give you a nasty whack!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom