Manual Strobe Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverChix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just updated my Sea & Sea system to the DX-8000G. The strobe the sea & sea distributer sent with my camera is a YS-27DX. I am having problems adjusting the strobe. It is over exposing everytime I use the strobe. I have tried adjusting the fstop number to match the camera, on several different types of dives. I really liked my old strobe, it seemed to work every time I needed it to. It was automatic, and I guess I got used to that. When I look at the setup online, this strobe they sent me isn't one of the strobes they recommend for this camera. This is my current setup:

DX-8000G
YS-27DX
Sea Arm Light Double Set
Fiber Optic Cable

My old setup was:
  • DX-3100
  • YS-25 AUT0
  • Fiber-optic Cable for YS-25
  • DX Arm
  • DX Stay
  • MX-10 20mm Wide Conversion Lens Kit
  • Lens Caddy for YS-25
What can I do to help this situation? Can I go back to using my old strobe and the new strobe? How do I set up the strobe so it doesn't over-expose the photos? My photos come out looking like a blob of white.

Thanks,

Tessa

I have this strobe on a Ikelite housing and Canon G9.

I started at ISO 200, 125th and 5.6 and then adjusted the intensity knob on the strobe until I got a good histogram and exposure.

Hi Tessa-
Thank you for your inquiry. Changing a strobe or system is usually never a smooth transition and as you know requires some patience and experimentation! To answer your immediate question, the YS-27 is completely compatible with the DX-8000G.
The YS-27 differs only slightly from the YS-25 in such that the 27 has a higher GN (20 compared to 15) and a wider beam angle (105x84 compared to 80x90) and it is a manual strobe. The YS-25Auto once adjusted to your cameras f-stop, will automatically adjust the output for the correct exposure. The YS-27DX is a manual strobe and requires manual adjustment, which is leading to some overexposures initially on your images. Power adjustment is 9 step from 1.7 to 20 on the YS-27, the YS-25 from 2 to 11 in 6 steps.
We echo cfelliot's comments on using the histogram and experimenting on the f-stops and shutter speeds until you get the settings you prefer.

Hi Tessa-
Thank you for your inquiry. Changing a strobe or system is usually never a smooth transition and as you know requires some patience and experimentation! To answer your immediate question, the YS-27 is completely compatible with the DX-8000G.
The YS-27 differs only slightly from the YS-25 in such that the 27 has a higher GN (20 compared to 15) and a wider beam angle (105x84 compared to 80x90) and it is a manual strobe. The YS-25Auto once adjusted to your cameras f-stop, will automatically adjust the output for the correct exposure. The YS-27DX is a manual strobe and requires manual adjustment, which is leading to some overexposures initially on your images. Power adjustment is 9 step from 1.7 to 20 on the YS-27, the YS-25 from 2 to 11 in 6 steps.
We echo cfelliot's comments on using the histogram and experimenting on the f-stops and shutter speeds until you get the settings you prefer.
I looked online to see if Sea&Sea had any manuals or instructions that would be helpful and I couldn't find anything. Do you know where I can find better instructions or guides for that particular strobe and camera setup?

Thanks,

Tessa

Hi Tessa-
Product user manuals are available online here: SEA&SEA User Manuals in PDF
you will also find suggested DX-8000G camera settings on that page.
Thanks, I think I am getting more clarification now. One more question, please? What is the Fiber Optic Cable Adapter for? Would this help me if I decide to use both automatic and manual strobes at the same time?

Thanks,

Tessa

Back
Top Bottom