Manual white balance vs edit wb in post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been using a gopro for some time now to video but it's time to upgrade, and I'm most likely going for a Canon g7x, unless the price of the Olympus omd em1 housings drop significantly.
So I'm wonder what yields best results..manual white balance during the dive with let's say a wb slate, or shooting in auto wb and editing it in post. I use a set of video lights but most likely upgrading them too.
Another dilemma is, if I opt for custom white balance I have to swap to auto before shooting closeups. Let me know how u guys do it! any input is much appreciated.
Cheers

I use manual white balance, carry a white slate, white balance every 10 ft or if the light changes. I also shoot 90% natural light. Post white balance is to tweak only, not complete color correction.

Light & Motion Bluefin CX550. Post production using Vegas Pro 14.

I've read there is no difference in the outcome whether you manually white balance or do it in post as you're filtering either way, filtering pre or post is the same.

I manually white balance. For one reason I do little other post production so manually white balancing means I have little to no post production.

I always obsessively manually white balance every 3 mts or so and get great photos down to 35 mts . I have been on the same dives with people with similar or better cameras who auto WB and fix it later. The manual WB is far better , plus it saves so much time later.

Hello Pajjpen.
First of all and most important you need to be shooting in RAW so that you can make better white balance changes in post production. If you are shooting in RAW then the rest is mostly personal because with or without manual WB you will be able to do all of this changes in post production.
I do recommend to get some strobes that way you don't have to do WB and you can bring out more vibrant colors in your shots.
I hope this helps
Cheers

Getting it right in the camera is always preferable for video and pictures (even with RAW, if you don't get the right information to the sensor, you can't fix it in post)

Yes, you can edit later, but I always find doing drastic (WB) changes in video editing leads to less than desirable results rather than getting it right in camera (this does not refer to camera quality in low light/improper exposure/ISO noise)

Take a good look at the cameras your looking at (in store) and play around with changing white balances (among other features)

Also look at the housings to see the layout of controls. Can you see all the information? On my AD7000 housing, I can't see the WB settings that are displayed on the top screen, so you may have to learn where you are, and where you want to go.

Do you have access to all the controls? Some housings don't give you all access to controls.

With the GoPro, I find its auto WB to be not too bad (Hero4 Black) under lights and close (<5ft). I do have to touch it up in post as sometimes the saturation and color may be a little off with its choices.

_R

I also shoot mostly with natural light. I shoot RAW + jpg and go through the manual WB for the jpgs. I use the jpgs for emailing friends to make them jealous (though I always invite them along...after a few emails many times they join me :)). For any serious use in arts & crafts ( I use a lot of colored textures as well as photos) I tweak the RAWs. It used to be an issue of storage size to shoot both, but now not so much. Gotta love technology....(obviously I just play, not a pro)

What depths and water conditions do you usually shoot natural light in?
Typically 80ft vis and up to 100 ft depth, although most of my footage is at 40 to 60 ft. I've shot in every possible water condition you can imagine, if you take your time it all turns out nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom