Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbkk:
I agree that the answer has to be in fish farming. And the sooner the better.
Peter

Finally,,,, It's ok to kill fish, thank you!!

As long as it's on a farm and soon....

I'm still puzzled by how the use of spearfishing equipment and the friendly support, more a thank you acknowledgment, from a manufacturer constitutes slam on them for supporting spearfishing.

Yeah, these guys went and shot a few SELECT fish, but the basis of the article and the whole dealio that Team Headhunter has with Zeagle isn't even manufacturer support, but the face that the divers on the TEAM invested their cash in ZEAGLE product because they BELIEVE IN THE PRODUCT to take them to 400+ feet and back to the top again ALIVE and have no defects or manufacturing issues which would create concern. Then to put their proverbial money where their mouth is, the team then proceeded to USE THE GEAR in the dive, accomplish exactly what the mission was, then returned alive to port to speak of the dive and the gear that made it possible.

Friggin hello! If someone wrote you a great letter of how PETER made the best gear to do XYZ, how they had purchased PETERS GEAR, then USED PETERS GEAR, and SHARED THE STORY AND PICTURES TO PROVE IT and HOW PROUD THEY ARE OF THE CHOSEN PETERS GEAR USED, wouldn't you want to show it off some, especially if a friggin record was broken in the process???

I'm stepping out of character here for me, but at some point the rose colored lenses have to be taken off and the world has to be seen for what it is.. the goods, bads, and the uglies. Sometimes the ugly has already occured and instead of doting over the 'happened' its better to pull out the "hey, it won't happen again, and look at what was learned or proven in the process than can be used elsewhere!"

To condone a manufacturer for showing off the accomplishments of someone who is very proud to be using their product, having done something that NOBODY ELSE has achieved while wearing that product, and sharing this achievement with the manufacturer as a sign of how pleased they are with the products used is just silly!! That sort of feedback from the field is a manufacturers ULTIMATE reward and advertising that can't even be measured in dollars and cents because word of mouth that this was used in XYZ fashion is completely immeasurable!

Seriously, has it been figured out yet that it was a one time deal and for Zeagle its not the fish, but the gear used and that these guys chose Zeagle, Zeagle didn't choose them?? Also has it been figured out that these guys don't go down to 400' every weekend looking for more giant fish to put holes in the heads of. Though, if they are anything like me they enjoy the sport of hunting underwater as much as I do (and above) and whenever the opportunity presents itself they've got a gun in hand and are bringin home the fish-bacon.

Johnoly:

Fish farm fishing? Gimme a good stick of dynamite and lets get to it!

BTW, for all ya eco-heads out there rolling around in agony at my posts, please know that I am very active in all the local environmental orgs, both local and national (my fav is www.echonet.org), ocean watch, REEF, Mote, etc., and have been and will continue to make a stand for the environment until I die. However, I am not going to quit enjoying some of the fruits of the earth to do so, nor should anyone else as long as care is taken while doing so.

Johnoly:

Yes, most ecologists would agree with this. A lot would be ticked off about the fish farm's effluent, however. You'd need to stick the farm on land and tertiary-treat the wastewater.

CBulla:
Seriously, has it been figured out yet that it was a one time deal and for Zeagle its not the fish, but the gear used and that these guys chose Zeagle, Zeagle didn't choose them?? Also has it been figured out that these guys don't go down to 400' every weekend looking for more giant fish to put holes in the heads of. Though, if they are anything like me they enjoy the sport of hunting underwater as much as I do (and above) and whenever the opportunity presents itself they've got a gun in hand and are bringin home the fish-bacon.
Well said. This is probably the best comment on the whole bloody thread. Should have been said earlier... all the longlining, fish farming, and algal bloom talk is distracting.

Good example or bad example, it was a single instance event, and Zeagle's only role in it was making the gear and publishing a short commentary afterwards.

archman:
Should have been said earlier...

Actually it was:
As such it struck me as more of an advert as to how good their gear performs at great depth - and in unusual circumstances.
I'd be proud as whatever if the gear I made could safely take folks safely that deep and allow them to pursue their legal objective.

,,,,,but I agree that a lot more has also been said!
03.gif

19 pages of posts: who is to blame?? spearfishermen... commercial fishermen.... recreational fishermen....????

Not one single post (that I could find) discussing one of the fundamental problems: degradation of marine ecosystems' abilities to maintain healthy marine life populations. Impacts from industrial pollution, stormwater runoff, agricultural runoff, wastewater 'treatment' discharge, filling of wetlands, destruction of seagrasses, ballastwater discharge of exotic invasive species, ... go ahead & add the discharge from fish farms. All of these human impacts combine to reduce productivity & capacity of our seas, particularly coastal waters.
As an example, most of the Florida Keys coral reefs have been turned to algae covered rock since I first dove there in the mid-70s. That didn't come from spearfishermen alone. Even the "Ecotourists" that have come by the millions to see the reefs have played their role. Grabbing the reef & kicking it with fins by millions of "nonconsumptive" users helped the algae gain the advantage.
Villianizing one group may be an attempt to identify a scapegoat, then sit back & feel ok, ignoring the personal responsibility nearly every person has for our ocean's troubles.
Maybe we should give out a free condom with every speargun, pair of fins, fishing pole, tennis racket, box of cereal .....:headscrat

Thanks CBulla, I didn't just miss that post, but the whole dang page!

I am pleased that the broader range of impacts was brought up for discussion. I'll go check out the new thread. It appears easy for some people to try to blame a tiny group for the problems caused by the masses.
Thanks again,
Bigrod (AKA donkey)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom