mares bungee fin straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one potential issue is that sort of reversed notch on the base of the button/pin/mushroom. I tried one of my Scubapro Seawing Nova straps, but that little thing prevented the strap from securing on. I love the straps from the Seawings. Maybe that part just needs to be shaved down. Or I just put duct tape around the pull handles.

Either way, Mares, you have some quality control issues. These are cheaply-made.

The back of the bungee attachment does say "made in China" so maybe we shouldn't be surprised that QC is an issue. But you would think that a company that started out making spear guns would know how to get quality bungee material.

I heard back from the Mares helpdesk a few minutes ago. Their response to my comment on the poor bungee performance is below. Not a lot of compassion or help for having received a very poor product which has to be replaced. But hey, they do know how to close a ticket! I bought the fins in NC before moving to FL. Looks like my nearest authorized Mares dealer here in FL is probably about 60 miles away. Probably easier/cheaper to just buy new straps online (non-bungee/non-Mares). Since I bought them at Divers Supply and I had shopped at the NC shop for many years, I may send him an email to at least let them know of the problem.

Hello Richard,
We regret to hear of your situation.
At this point it would be best to reach out to our local authorized Mares dealer for assistance.
Please have the dealer contact our office and we will do our best to assist.

Best regards,
Bradley Campbell
Ticket Details
Ticket ID: VNS-355-50577
Department: North America
Type: Issue
Priority: Medium​

[QUOTE="rwe, post: 7839018, member: 53264"
... omissis ...
Probably easier/cheaper to just buy new straps online (non-bungee/non-Mares).
... omissis ...
[/QUOTE]

And also more lasting ... the reverse notch near the mushroom can be easily shaved away...

Yep, just happened to me, same story. Bought in 2015, not that much diving. I think these are junk. Avoid sun and salt -- really? Dive gear? I had to tie that back piece with bungee cord -- not rubber! I also will contact Mares and the dive shop that sold it. These things are expensive and this just should not be happening.

@rwe--In regards to your response from Mares customer support-I'd recommend taking the strap to your local Mares dealer anyway.
I recently also had a problem with Mares Avanti Quattro bungee straps and was asked to present to a local Mares dealer. I did (I did not purchase the fins from this dealer)-- they verified the issue, reported back to Mares, who then quickly sent a pair of replacement straps. My understanding at the time was that Mares relies on verification of the problem and the opinion of their local reps (as to the cause and responsibility) before deciding on replacement or repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom