Mares Cruise Roller Bag Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MindMagick

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings All,

We will be purchasing some new dive bags for Xmas presents and wondered did anybody have any experience with the new MARES CRUISE ROLLER BAG that folds up to a briefcase for storage?

Your comments regarding durability, space for full size fins, XL BC, Regs, computers, 5 mil wetsuit, and all the other stuff one must take including extra clothes would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Hopefully you will get some comments from users; But as for durability, we have had no issues, it has been holding up well. As for the space it can hold quite a lot with 3.5 cu ft of space and 7.8 lbs.

Regards,

Phil

I just bought one and will be using it for the first time this coming weekend. I loved the fact that it folds up compactly so it won't take up so much room on a cruise or a live aboard. I'll let you know how it holds up through JetBlue's baggage handlers :wink:
I am hoping to get all of my gear and enough clothes for the week into the one bag so I don't have to pay the 2nd bag fee. Since we are going to FL it should be warm enough that I don't have to bring a bunch of clothes! I won't be putting my regs or computer in it though - those are getting carried on the plane.

Julie

Greetings Phil,
Thank you very much for the reply! And YOU are the first peson that could tell me the weight of the bag. It was not listed anywhere! Thanks Again!
John
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Hi Julie,
Thank you very much for the reply! It is appreciated! I would be very interested to see how your bag handled the airplane flight each way as well as how you liked it on your dive boat in that it folds up so well. I look forward to your response and if positive I think I am going to purchase at least 2 of them. Have a great dive trip!!
John - Pittsburgh, Pa.

John,

The bag held up great! I was a little worried after I packed it since it isn't hard sided but the fins keep the sides stable - although it is a tight fit to get my Mares Raptor split fins in the side pockets. It easily held my BC, 3mm wetsuit, a bag full of my accessories (reel, 2 dive lights w/4 "c" batteries, SMB, gloves, hood, boots, snorkel, travel hangers), and 3 large beach towels. I put my training books in the padded bag that is supposed to be used for the regulator since I already have a reg bag. It weighed 43 lbs. I decided to bring a second bag with me for my clothes so I'd have room to bring back Xmas presents if we had time to go shopping :) I could have easily fit my clothes in the bag and brought 2 less towels to keep the weight down.

I am short enough (5'4") that the bag was easy to roll through the airport but I can see it being uncomfortable for someone that is tall since there isn't a handle that extends out like the hard sided bags.

I was really impressed with the bag and the way it held up. I like the fact that it is lightweight vs the hard sided bags as it gives me the extra weight for gear. It folds up nicely so it is out of the way.

Hope this helps with your decision!
Julie

Julie,

Thanks for the positive review. When we design these the goal is durability and functionality.
Naturally in a bag like this there has to be a few compromises such as no telescopic handle.

Regards
Phil

I have had one of these bags for a year now. It held all of my equipment (5mm neoprene, bcd, regs, abc-s PLUS the clothes for a one week trip to Hurghada - so i'm very pleased with it. Since it has no hard sidings, telescopic handle and other fragile parts it's not prone to breaking and it can take all the abuse you can imagine. I usualy drag it around over treads, tresholds, stairs with no problems whatsoever. The only design flaw is that it doesn't have a side handle (except from the top handle) so it's hard to lift it and carry it around when full, but i imagine that this is a good compromise, since the sides are actually the fin pockets.

Hi Julie,
Thank you ever so much for that detailed review! It is greatly appreciated! And on your positive experience I have just ordered one for a present to my wife for Xmas! Thanks Again!

John

Thanks for the data on the Dive Bag! Based on yours & Julie's reviews I have just ordered one! And maybe a second one after I receive the first! Thanks again & have a great day!

John

Back
Top Bottom