Mares Dragon AT concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Am in the market for a new BC and am / was seriously considering the dragon, but after reading various threads and speaking with a number of people ive detected a couple concerns that i was hoping the Mares rep could address (or not as the case may be.

1) the pockets are unusable when the weight pockets are full
2) the chest strap is very uncomfortable out of water
3) due to the bladder config twin tanks are not an option.

Ive heard a lot of good things about this BC so these issues are not show stoppers for me, but i was hoping they might be able to be addressed. - Thanks

Scuba-Jay

Also could someone give me the pros/ cons of the AT Vs regular system?

Might I suggest a Riptide Zone II. Scubalabs gave it their highest marks in 2005. It is a back inflator but can accept a plate for doubles. It is extremely well built and the weight system is the easiest one I have seen.

I have a Dragon Ergo (standard inflator). The pockets don't hold much, esp. with the weight pockets full, the chest strap is a bit high, but not uncomfortable and I can't see how it could accept doubles as the bladder actually wraps around a single tank... That being said, I love my BC -- it's very well built/sturdy and has a great backplate/independent harness that is extremely comfortable with no jacket squeeze. The bladder is in the shape of an inverted T and seems to provide good balance underwater and plenty of lift. It also gets a lot of positive looks and comments topside. I have only seem positive reviews...for good reason.

Cheers

Thanks for the input. I was hoping the Mares rep might have heard these before and that maybe they had put out some kind of correction?

J

I have an older Dragonfly AT that I use for wet suit dives. Great BC. I don't use the chest strap or weight pockets. People that don't like it have never used it.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping the Mares rep might have heard these before and that maybe they had put out some kind of correction?

1) the pockets are unusable when the weight pockets are full
2) the chest strap is very uncomfortable out of water
3) due to the bladder config twin tanks are not an option.

Scuba Jay I'll try to address your concerns.
  1. Should you fill the weight pockets, it will impact the usability of the storage pockets to some degree, as this happens with all bc's where weight pockets and storage pockets are positioned next to each other. It will not render the storage pockets useless, just a little less capacity. Unfortunately we don't have anywhere else to put the pockets, space is limited.
  2. I have not heard complaints about the chest strap. As you know everyone is different shapes and heights resulting in different fit for different people. With the Dragon BC there is torso adjustment, resulting in more configurations for better comfort. Perhaps the complaints you heard were from different sized people or a bc not adjusted properly? Hard to say.
  3. The Dragon BC is not designed specifically for twin tank diving. The BC technically could accomodate a twin tank set up but please note. The back pack is made of a plastic. The weight and stress of twin tanks "could" lead to fracturing the back pack. This is why most people diving doubles use a stainless pack. The wings on the back of the bc, IMO will not impede the usage of doubles. You may not get them to maximum inflation but they will still work. They don't fully encompass a single tank when diving. They only partially wrap a standard Aluminum 80 tank.
As for the standard ergo inflator or the Air Trim. This is going to boil down to personal preferance. You will hear people with all sorts of opinions. I personally prefer the A/T. It is easier, less to worry about, naturally positions your hands where they should be (unless hunting or taking images), and IMO is a safer system. Imagine being able to control bouyancy whether out of control or in control with a simple 2 button operation, and the control device doesn't move, ever. Whether you are upside down, head up, or feet up, you won't have to consider where do I go to vent air, you simple push the button and the valves will open. The air trim system has been on our BC's for many years, it is proven, safe, and very effective. Many people will say once they dive with an airtrim there is no need to go back to the standard inflator.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions / concerns.

Have a great New Year,

Zak,

Thank you so much for posting a response so quickly. Just another example of why scubaboard.com is usefull, bringing divers and dive gear manufacturers together. I think you've addressed my questions, and as such i plan on going with the Dragon AT. Not sure if you will be back to check this again, but are you aware of any stores in the tampa / st. pete area who will allow me to test out the BC before i dive, either in a pool or open water? Thanks again,

Scuba-Jay
Jordan

Good choice, I use one. While the pocket size is definitely a downer, the good points on this BC vastly outweigh the bad ones. I also had discomfort with the chest strap, but only when on shore geared up. Unhooked, it posed no problems. The funky tank wrap works with most single tanks (up to air pig size), and I've never tried it with doubles, and the inflator is amazing.

Jordan,
I don't know if it's too late, I don't know of a dealer in the area mentioned that will allow you to try it first. I think you should call around. Some stores have this policy and some do not.

best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom