Mares HD Icon transmitter battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ex nihil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1. Anybody know how to change an HD Icon net ready transmitter battery? I am in the Solomon Islands and I don't want to have to crack the transmitter open just to read the battery type if I cannot get it in the country. There does not seem to be any Mares instruction on it.
2. Can anybody tell me if there is a low transmitter battery level indicator?
3. I believe there is a fault in the early transmitters that causes high battery use but Mares have stopped short of a recall. My new AI unit drains battery about 3 times faster than my old non AI unit My Can anybody tell me definitively how to detect if my transmitter is of the old type by serial number and how to get it changed? I am very reluctant to test this by un-pairing it and re-pairing it on and off the tank because it took me a very long time to pair the first one, actually it took me two days because I had to take it back to the shop, being in the Solomon Islands now I am scared of re-pairing it without support available.

1. Anybody know how to change an HD Icon net ready transmitter battery? I am in the Solomon Islands and I don't want to have to crack the transmitter open just to read the battery type if I cannot get it in the country. There does not seem to be any Mares instruction on it.
2. Can anybody tell me if there is a low transmitter battery level indicator?
3. I believe there is a fault in the early transmitters that causes high battery use but Mares have stopped short of a recall. My new AI unit drains battery about 3 times faster than my old non AI unit My Can anybody tell me definitively how to detect if my transmitter is of the old type by serial number and how to get it changed? I am very reluctant to test this by un-pairing it and re-pairing it on and off the tank because it took me a very long time to pair the first one, actually it took me two days because I had to take it back to the shop, being in the Solomon Islands now I am scared of re-pairing it without support available.

1. It's a standard 123A camera battery. In a dry, clean area, detach the transmitter from your first stage and remove the two small phillips screws from the top. Gently pry off the top, and you can then, also gently, pull out the circuit board and battery holder. Just pop out the old one and insert a fresh one.

2. There is a low transmitter battery warning on the Icon, as well as a warning for the Icon itself.

3. I had a similar issue when I first got mine. It appears to be due to the Icon and transmitter being stored near each other so that the connection remains active even when not in use. After the first time I replaced the battery, and stored them separately, the issue did not recur. No need to unpair and re-pair.

I just did 19 dives over 6 days, without any issues.

Hope this helps.

1. It's a standard 123A camera battery. In a dry, clean area, detach the transmitter from your first stage and remove the two small phillips screws from the top. Gently pry off the top, and you can then, also gently, pull out the circuit board and battery holder. Just pop out the old one and insert a fresh one.

2. There is a low transmitter battery warning on the Icon, as well as a warning for the Icon itself.

3. I had a similar issue when I first got mine. It appears to be due to the Icon and transmitter being stored near each other so that the connection remains active even when not in use. After the first time I replaced the battery, and stored them separately, the issue did not recur. No need to unpair and re-pair.

I just did 19 dives over 6 days, without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, Mblazer; great answer. I agree. I would also add, the transmitter uses a simple oring solution to keep the electronics dry. Please use total caution when reassembling so as not to pinch, nick, or get dust / dirt on the oring. If this happens, it is very possible water will pass the seal, and this will result in undesirable consequences.

If you look at the base of the transmitter (near the HP nipple), you should see a serial number. If there is no serial number you have an early model, that possibly could be a culprit for quick draining batteries. New transmitters with a serial number will shut down when not activated by air pressure. Meaning it doesn't matter if they are in the same vicinity as the computer, as long as the air pressure is not on.

Hope this helps.

Zak

Hi all, Mblazer; great answer. I agree. I would also add, the transmitter uses a simple oring solution to keep the electronics dry. Please use total caution when reassembling so as not to pinch, nick, or get dust / dirt on the oring. If this happens, it is very possible water will pass the seal, and this will result in undesirable consequences.

If you look at the base of the transmitter (near the HP nipple), you should see a serial number. If there is no serial number you have an early model, that possibly could be a culprit for quick draining batteries. New transmitters with a serial number will shut down when not activated by air pressure. Meaning it doesn't matter if they are in the same vicinity as the computer, as long as the air pressure is not on.

Hope this helps.

Zak

Zak,

As you know. I have been loyal Mares Icon HD user. I bought mine before air integration and was one of the first to exchange for air integration. My transmitter has no serial number on it that I can find. So, I guess I have one of the earlier models. Is there an exchange program to exchange my version one transmitter for a new one? I purchased it through Leisurepro.

Thanks
Naboodiver

Last edited:

Hope this helps.

Zak

Hey Zak,
Is there a kit number for the battery, o-ring, and lubricant or at least a part number for the appropriate o-ring (or size)? I figured the lubricant could be a good quality food grade silicone found in most dive shops and the battery is a common type. This is a question being asked elsewhere and I figured you would know.

Thanks
EJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom