Mares HUB BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcoxe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI,

I am looking at buying the Carbon42 Reg & Octopus combo

However, has anyone got any experience with the HUB BC ??

Regards
Allen

OZ. Many Thanks for that link. I read Tosh's negative points and the counter points to the HUB.

In the end I went to discountdivers.com and ordered a US Diver Pro reg setup for $170 USD gently used, serviced and ready to go and an Oceanic Pro Plus Computer for $300. I still haven't decided what BCD I want for my 12 yo. I am stuck on the issue of weights in my pockets.

I have been in some pretty nasty jams over my years and one really bad rescue almost called for me to drop my own weights. This incident has haunted me to keep a weight belt w/ankle weights. I see it discussed that you should dump the panicked divers weight....yeah, well good luck. It is your weights you are dropping if you have a panicked diver IME. In the 3 actual rescue scernarios I have been in, my reg got taken out of my mouth, and I had one hand grabbing their BCD to keep them close enough not to pull me around by the hose. The other hand is needed for their elevator up button and yours....still not seeing the surface? You have one hand to get rid of weights. Those pocket weights are not quick release. Especially if you have a panicked diver. They require your entire focus!

So... my particular experiences and a lot of training that weights should be Quick release are well ingrained and I don't think I am shaking it. Like if their BCDs do not inflate for lack of air, you are the balloon that is taking them to the surface. You can get his weights off once you get there. Getting there is the first issue.

What BCD with pocket weights has a quick disconnect version?

What BCD with pocket weights has a quick disconnect version?
Many Zeagle models come with their Ripcord system. One pull and the contents of both front weight pockets are dropped. It's the red handle you see on some of their models here: BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems Not the cheapest gear though. It can also be fitted to some of their other models - like the Express Tech. There's a video about it. http://www.zeaglehelp.com/Videos/Ripcordv.wmv

And it does work - I pulled mine once or twice to practice rethreading it.
what BCD I want for my 12 yo
They sell a Ranger Jr. for $349 plus there's some size adjustment later since it uses their PFS (Personal Fit System) http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleRangerJr

Ahhhh.... I was just reading up on the Zeagles and then I started reading about Wing BCDs, backplates, weight harnesses and I am getting in very deep...
Thanks.

my very skinny 14yo fits an express tech deluxe very well! and will fit him for years to come at about the same price as a ranger jr.

Guys, thanks so much. I picked up a Zeagle Ranger for him for $300+ It came with an AIR2 on it. I didn't know what that was until I got chastised on another thread for starting my son out with one. I picked up a Zeagle Tech for me for $500+ and had the AIR2 swapped to my Zeagle. I picked up a spare hose in case I don't like the AIR2. They also had a bunch of used incidentals I picked up fairly cheap.

I owned a HUB as my first BCD/reg setup. I was a new diver and didn't know any better when I bought it 10 years ago. It wasn't all bad, I did take it to Truk and Cozumel. But when the time came to part with it I just threw it in the trash. Way too many cons with that setup and I wouldn't have even wanted to give it away to another diver.

BTW... I bought the stuff used at www.discountdivers.com/index.html

Does anyone have any experience buying from these guys???
They have pallets of used stuff. Must be a big place... in the North West somewhere. Shipping cost me to NY, but the money I saved was still a lot. I am hoping the gear is as gently used as described.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom