Mares Hub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't do a search on SB unless the mod squad has changed the way the search works..it won't search three letter words. I have seen a hub and yes they are neat looking but I draw the line there. There are way to many negative aspects of this unit..too many to list.

All in all, DON'T BUY ONE!! For what you would pay for the HUB you could buy some decent gear that would be more reliable.

Friend of mine dives with one, heck he did quite a number of dives on and is still alive! Take everything you hear here with a grain of salt, the are a lot of people that like to shoot off their mouth about things, yet have no first hand experience with the subject matter.

From what I know and have experienced, the HUB is a very nice unit for the recreational diver. It fits very nicely and performs great. The airtrim system is the best thing on that BC, you can dump in any direction and it works well. The main reg has it's own hose/routing and the octo, while stowed away in a pocket, it is simply held in with a 1" velcro strap - so getting to it is very simple. So in short, they are good BC's perhaps not as easy to look at and work on as others but as long as you keep up the service they should last.

My $0.02 would be to try one under water and then draw your own conclusions, while taking some of the above mentioned tid-bits into consideration.

well i am just looking for a simple diving system. i went to another marine shop that sold scubapro. and since the mk2+ r190 was loved by everyone. i found that i might buy that. but should i get a standard scubapro bcd? or get a mares vector bcd? i love diving and in a month or two will be spending a lot more time in the water than i have before. i don't want to empty my savings on expensive complicated dive gear. the simpler the rig the safer it is. another reason for that is i might go technical next year. i still don't know what i will do at the moment..

thanks for your comments..

and if anyone says anything about the shower cap.. i might have to go all crazy on yo @$$!

cheers
Jalal

If you're even THINKING about going technical in the future, save yourself the time, hassle and money and get a BP/Wing setup now. They're great for single tanks, but are almost a requirement for tech diving.

For the cost of a HUB, you can do a lot better.

Boogie711:
If you're even THINKING about going technical in the future, save yourself the time, hassle and money and get a BP/Wing setup now. They're great for single tanks, but are almost a requirement for tech diving.

For the cost of a HUB, you can do a lot better.

Wow, 15 replies before the BP/Wing suggestion shows up! I agree with Boogie711 though.

I did a CBL on a buddy who was using one just so I had the experiance and found it to be an easy method of controll. Plus my right hand was low on my buddies body and so it was easier to hold her close to me. After saying that, others say that as its different we should keep clear. But then didnt somebody say that about the single hose verses twin hoses a few years ago and insisted all of his divers used twin hose sets.
I would think that for recreational diving its a nice compact piece of kit with very few "Dangly bits". Something most divers seem to have.

Vie:
Wow, 15 replies before the BP/Wing suggestion shows up! I agree with Boogie711 though.

Yip, and it had to be Boogie :D

Tamas:
Friend of mine dives with one, heck he did quite a number of dives on and is still alive! Take everything you hear here with a grain of salt, the are a lot of people that like to shoot off their mouth about things, yet have no first hand experience with the subject matter.

From what I know and have experienced, the HUB is a very nice unit for the recreational diver. It fits very nicely and performs great. The airtrim system is the best thing on that BC, you can dump in any direction and it works well. The main reg has it's own hose/routing and the octo, while stowed away in a pocket, it is simply held in with a 1" velcro strap - so getting to it is very simple. So in short, they are good BC's perhaps not as easy to look at and work on as others but as long as you keep up the service they should last.

My $0.02 would be to try one under water and then draw your own conclusions, while taking some of the above mentioned tid-bits into consideration.

My only experience with a HUB was having to rescue someone when he overbreathed the regulator. There were additional problems caused by the non-standard hoses and the joystick.

You couldn't pay me enough money to dive that rig.

I understand that everyone has personal preferences. When I organize a charter, I understand that people may be using equipment that I would not use for my personal diving. However, there is only one piece of gear that is not allowed on any trip I organize. You guessed it, its the HUB.

I think one of the most often overlooked concerns here is not from the aspect of the user's safety, but from the aspect of the buddy's safety.

Most divers are trained to look for the AAS in the "golden triangle" and so forth.

Now, given that the buddy can be familiarized with the HUB set up in a pre-dive equipment check and review (if it takes place at all), if one is diving with a group and encounters a panicked diver other than one's buddy, things can go very wrong very quickly with a gear configuration such as the HUB.

Please understand that I'm not stepping up on the DIR soap box here and saying everyone has to have a gear configuration of exactly the same arrangement, but what I am observing is that the HUB fall outside the accustomed gear configuration set up for the vast majority of divers.

It seems to me the Mares brought this product to market after watching too many science fiction / Star Wars movies - purely opinion . . .

It causes one to wonder how a stressed diver would react while trying to assist a more stressed diver while using a rig such as the HUB. I would hope the wearer would do a great deal of practice in a confined water environment simulating emergency situations in order to learn and facilitate quick deployment of the emergency gear.

It is the sole responsibility of the diver to purchase his/her equipment based upon the knowledge s/he has acquired along with advice received from those with more experience. Along with the diver's responsibility to himself comes the burden of responsibility of his buddy in peril.

Back
Top Bottom