Mares Hub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually they're a throwback. They were introduced with the platypus . . .

detroit diver:
Boogie only got to it first because I didn't see the thread start!!

LMAO :D

diver371:
wow that was a great beginner's guide MSilvia. Thanks for your info... are BP/Wing sets more advanced ?
Yes and no. They are made out of more durable materials, and give a diver more configuration options, so they're suitable for any kind of diving from beach dives with a single tank to the most demanding mixed-gas deep cave and wreck dives. In the sense that they allow a diver to do more advanced dives, yes.

However, since it's basicly just a 4 meter piece of webbing threaded through a steel plate with a tank and air bladder strapped or bolted to it, it's a very simple minimalist rig. It has what you need without adding a bunch of stuff you don't. While it allows advanced diving, it's easy to work on and customize, and is suitable for beginning divers too. In my opinion, they're easier to use.

It's a great system for advanced divers, but it isn't accurate to say it's for advanced divers only. As Kraken said, it's a bit of a throwback... people have been using similar harness setups since before divers used BCs at all.

MSilvia:
Yes and no. They are made out of more durable materials, and give a diver more configuration options, so they're suitable for any kind of diving from beach dives with a single tank to the most demanding mixed-gas deep cave and wreck dives. In the sense that they allow a diver to do more advanced dives, yes.

However, since it's basicly just a 4 meter piece of webbing threaded through a steel plate with a tank and air bladder strapped or bolted to it, it's a very simple minimalist rig. It has what you need without adding a bunch of stuff you don't. While it allows advanced diving, it's easy to work on and customize, and is suitable for beginning divers too. In my opinion, they're easier to use.

It's a great system for advanced divers, but it isn't accurate to say it's for advanced divers only. As Kraken said, it's a bit of a throwback... people have been using similar harness setups since before divers used BCs at all.

Some people would argue that the evolution of the BC started to degenerate when the jacket came along :06:

ok well... what's the difference between an aluminium backplate and a SS backplate. i know one is heavier.. but what difference does it make?

I have decided to go for the Halcyon Pioneer wing.. any objections to this choice?

Jalal

oops a quick thing to add.. repair... how has it been with others? i'm guessing since it's not such a complicated system then the repairs were not serious? does it cost a lot?

What difference does a 4 pound weight on your weight belt make? Is it irrelevant?

I have a Pioneer. It rocks.

diver371:
oops a quick thing to add.. repair... how has it been with others? i'm guessing since it's not such a complicated system then the repairs were not serious? does it cost a lot?

Repair a backplate? You'd almost have to run over it with a truck to damage it. I'm not sure if a truck would actually break one of those things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom