Mares Hybrid Pure BCD versions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gral

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for a long post but can someone help me shed some light on the Mares Hybrid Pure BCD?

I’m looking for a new travel-friendly BCD which will also work in cold waters and I keep getting back to the Mares Hybrid Pure which seem to tick most, if not all, of my boxes. However, I am getting a bit confused as there seem to exist multiple versions (generations?) of this BCD and they are all just called “Hybrid Pure.”

The biggest differences I can make out are around the waist belt. Some versions (the newer ones maybe?) seem to use a single piece of standard webbing as a waist belt and the MRS+ and trim-weight pockets are simply threaded onto it. Another version appears to have a fixed waist belt with thick padded hip support. It comes with significantly different looking MRS+ and trim pockets. Other differences I have noted include standard buckle or pinch clip on the waist belt, swiveling or standard shoulder clips and cosmetic changes around the shoulder d-rings.

On MARES webpage the images depicting the BCD seems to show the model with the padded hip support (Hybrid Pure - B.C.D.s Ergo - Mares; see image 2 for example), which I assumed was an old model?! Some images on the web page show a pinch clip and some a standard buckle on the waist belt. None show the version with the swivel shoulder clips and re-designed shoulder pads. Those can, however, be found at some online retailers web pages (see e.g. Mares Hybrid Pure BC) where I get the impression that it is indeed a the newer, current, version as they also sell the non-swivel version at a discounted price. At the same time I find it hard to believe that MARES would have out of date pictures on their official web page and in their 2016 catalogue.

On MARES web page there are also links to some official youtube video showing the different features of the BCD. There are two links called “Customizing” showing the two different models but no mention of which one being the current model, if any of them.

In short, I find it hard to figure out what the current version of this BCD looks like and what features it have. Are there several versions available at the moment? Different versions in different regions? Any link to a page showing the current version of the Hybrid Pure BCD would be appreciated.

Cheers,

gral

Hi, my buddy has th Mares Hybrid Pure B.C that is exactly the one of your two links (yes both: they are the same model my buddy uses).
It has the foldable back and the padded hip support - with the standard buckle on the waist belt and the swivel shoulder clips.. You can also buy optional croch strap for it (not 2" webbing as the waist belt).
The model with the pinch clip on the waist belt is the Hybrid Pro Tec having a couple of d-rings on the right shoulder.
The mares website is not so much clear and, I think, neither the online shops are.
AirTrim is a completely different thing and I know there is a Hybrid A.T. that is a mix of the two (no buckle, no swivel, single d-ring) still mantaining foldable back and padded hip support.

Speaking about the Mares Hybrid Pure (my buddy's one) it is really lightweight and comfortable, and, still being a recreational back inflatable BCD very close to a BP+Wing used with single tank.

So, actually there are 4 of them (Hybrid) in the catalogue:

Hybrid: #417345 or 417346 she dives
Hybrid AT #417334
Hybrid Pro Tec #417348
Hybrid Pure #417352 (my buddy choice).

You can download Mares 2016 catalogue from the download page of the Mares website....

Hope this helps

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the info! However, I'm only really talking about the Hybrid Pure. Not the other "Hybrids". The Pure (at least some versions) also comes with a pinch clip on the waist belt. Look at this video from the MARES homepage for example: . It shows the Hybride Pure with a waist pinch clip.

My second link above is not the same version "Pure" as the first one (I believe). It does not have the padded hip support that your buddy seem to have. It's hard to see from the pictures sp look at this video from MARES homepage instead: . It shows a "Hybrid Pure" but with just a standard (2 inch maybe?) webbing around the waist. No hip support and the trim pockets are just small pockets on the webbing. Not the large joined pockets shown here (again a Hybrid Pure and a video from same MARES web page): .

That is what confuses me. I do understand if you do not have the time or patience to look at all the videos :D

It's good to hear that your buddy seem to be happy with it though!

Thanks!

Gral

My buddy's version is exactly the one in the video #2: buckle and two separate trim weight pockets.
It seems to me that the padded hip support is present in all 3 video.
The difference is mainly in the waist belt - the one with buckle seems to have the two separate trim weight (like my buddy's one), while the one with the pinch clip seems to support the large joined pad with integrated pockets - NB THIS IS NOT THE PADDED HIP SUPPORT.
The latter is a large suspension pad, and his clearly visible at 0:33 in video #1 , 1:01 in video #2 and at 0:19 in video #3. Think at it as giant elastic band suspended between the two ends of the plastic backplate - the part the folds backward when storing.
I also noted from the videos that there are minor differences also in the swivel shoulder strap (I don't like them also because is a weak point IMHO).
So, probably Mares did some cosmetics to the model. Last year we bought a new Hybrid Pure to another friend and it came exactly like my buddy's one: the buckle version (sorry I don't remember the presence or absence of the swivel.
I suspect that if you buy now the Hybrid Pure (#417352) you should get the buckle version with no swivel shoulder pad as depicted in the 2016 catalogue.
And ... yes my buddy likes her very much: she say that is more comfortable than other traditional BCD (I think that it is mostly because a back inflate BCD gives you much more freedom and this one is very light).
Here in Italy it sells for something between 220€ and 250€ if that helps.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Hybrid Pure for myself, wife and daughter from Leisurepro NY last March 2016 and what I got was the one with the 2 inch webbing waist strap and cam buckle. I am based in Manila and this is also what the Mares store sells here. I prefer this as the 2 inch webbing waist strap can allow you to put on after market D-rings if you plan to remove the MRS weight pouches, which I did with my wife's BC. The Hybrid Pure comes with non-dumpable trim weight pockets which is enough for her. We have done about 20 dives with the BCs so far and very happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. Very useful! I too would prefer the one with the standard webbing waist strap. From the look of it Mares is displaying a several year old version of the BCD on their web site. I find that a bit weird.

Alastor, the swivel shoulder strap clips seem to be yet another recent update. It's not just the swivel but they seem to have changed the entire shoulder strap and upper back padding section of the BCD.

My concern is that if you really want the "newer" versions and you buy online you better ask which model you will get as most retailers seem to be using the out of date images from Mares homepage to market the BCD.

Thanks all!

gral

... or one can just ignore small strap updates and other details and spend the time and energy diving instead

I have a Hybrid Pure on order as a teaching BC. I currently dive an Aqualung Balance & love it! However it is starting to show wear & Aqualung no longer makes the Balance. They make the Dimension instead. The biggest drawback, is both the ditchable & non- ditchable weight pockets are at the waist. That puts me in a feet- down position. I want perfectly horizontal & need some weight up, around my shoulders. While the Mares Hybrid pure also has both pockets down low, they are removable & the cam band, while low can be moved up. My plan is to move the cam band up & put the non ditchable weight pockets on the cam strap,... thus closer to my shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom