Mares Icon Expensive Piece of Junk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should use AUD instead of $ so that people here are not confused.

I never alluded to your level of experience in previous posts rather to your naivete in ordering and using a brand new device on a trip to nowhere. I’m a hiker and would not consider taking new equipment with me when going on a tough remote trek. Your experience confirms that. Glad you resolved it.

614CCE5B-F5BA-4CA4-8933-61619CD0EBCA.jpeg
Shame on you for making fun at their inability to score :rolleyes:

you may think i am not giving Mares a chance but that is the way it is these days.

Maybe for you, perhaps not for those of us who don't think we are the center of the universe - mate.

Maybe for you, perhaps not for those of us who don't think we are the center of the universe - mate.

mate, pardon me for expecting things to work the way they should. i know we do not live in a world where everything is perfect - but when a brand new piece of equipment like this (that is priced top of range and that we rely on for our safety) does not work then i have every right to be upset and lose faith in a product.

tridacna it is certainly a lesson learnt - will endeavour to plan better next time. cheers.

Last edited:
I can't comment on this particular device as I haven't used it. But I work in technology & I agree with you that it's important for customers to have faith in the products & the companies. However, there will always be an occasional hiccup & in those cases, what really counts is how the company responds to the problem. Just curious if you've you reached out to them outside of the thread?

Since you're new, I'll also add in my two cents on how I handle equipment now after some painful experiences I've prefer to forget. lol
  • I always have a cheaper back-up computer on me that I use every dive. This allows me to continue to dive without waiting 24 hours when my primary has had an issue & it becomes even more important when I'm in exotic locales. (I had a transmitter die on me while I was on a tiny island in the Philippines. If I hadn't had a back-up computer, I would have lost out on diving for an entire week!)
  • I have a large save-a-dive kit which is filled with lots of goodies which has saved me more times than I can count...from a second mask to a pressure gauge to duct tape, etc.
  • Any time I have new equipment, I try it out a few different times in my dive shop pool first to make sure there are no surprises. When I run into problems, I'll reach out to my dive shop to see if they can tell what the problem is...that's one of the reasons I have the relationship with them. And they're kind enough to help me regardless of whether I got that specific equipment from them or not though of course I try to buy from them often. :) If they can't help, then I'll reach out to the manufacturer.
Hope it all gets sorted out for you. Happy diving!

hi NYCNaiad,

been very much enjoying daily dives near Ono Island, Fiji. a ridiculous amount of great sites to choose from.

thanks for your post and helpful advice. i am slowly building up back up equipment and extra tools - but of course when travelling by air you really are limited to what you can take. still, it is a matter of speaking to more seasoned divers and developing your own pleasant and painful experiences :) to eventually feel confident with your equipment.

just to let you know - i did reach out to Mares. i registered as a user and raised a ticket in the hope they could provide me with some information - maybe a trick i was missing. but i have not yet had the courtesy of a response - not even an acknowledgement that they have received my ticket. so not a great start.

fortunately others in the general community are a little more generous with their time and i have certainly narrowed down the issue. i have to admit i have enjoyed using the computer even with it's problem and once i am able to replace the transmitter - if it works as it should i do like it enough to keep it. not that i have much of a choice for a while. but i stress - next time around i will be looking at other brands.

cheers.

i am slowly building up back up equipment and extra tools - but of course when travelling by air you really are limited to what you can take.

I hear you! I adore small off-the-beaten path islands where you fly in little puddle jumpers so space & weight is at a premium. (You haven't lived till someone weighs you & your equipment together before they let you on the plane!) But this dive stuff is my life saving equipment we're talking about so I leave all the nice-to-haves like clothing choices, shoe choices, hair dryer, etc. at home. I'm often the only chick on the island that has multiple bathing suits, dive skins & dive equipment, but has to live in the same 2 pairs of shoes & just a small number of clothes.

That sucks you haven't heard back from Mares yet!

I haven't been diving in Fiji yet. Heard lovely things though. You're going to be very spoiled after diving there so early in your dive career!

Side note: If you include an @ in front of a person's user name or hit reply (or select +Quote on a few posts & then Insert Quote to include the quotes when creating your reply), then the people you are replying to will get a notification specific to them when you post the reply. Otherwise, they will sometimes miss the post. (You can also highlight portions of text in someone's post like I did with your above & then select +Quote or Reply from there to include just a snippet of text.)

just to let you know - i did reach out to Mares. i registered as a user and raised a ticket in the hope they could provide me with some information - maybe a trick i was missing. but i have not yet had the courtesy of a response - not even an acknowledgement that they have received my ticket. so not a great start.

That sucks you haven't heard back from Mares yet!

being the "owner" of a unaddressed ticket for 3+ years on the Mares forum regarding a computer, I can suggest, as a new diver, you remember the first rule of scuba..... never hold your breadth.

Mares is no longer in consideration for anything I buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom