Mares Icon Expensive Piece of Junk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mate, pardon me for expecting things to work the way they should. i know we do not live in a world where everything is perfect - but when a brand new piece of equipment like this (that is priced top of range and that we rely on for our safety) does not work then i have every right to be upset and lose faith in a product.

Totally unrealistic. There will always be manufacturing defects. You were unlucky - nothing more, nothing less. It is totally unrealistic to expect any manufacturer to inspect and test every piece before it is sent out. Do you want some cheese with you whine?

Moreover, since you depend on that piece of equipment for your safety, I would think you would have tested it immediately on receipt to ensure it was working properly, before embarking on a trip. It would have been a simple thing to fall back on a SPG to save your dives. Disapointing perhaps, but not the end of the world that you make it out to be. You got nobody to blame but yourself - mate.

As far as Mares responses to tickets - did you ever think to email the regional manager? I did and got immediate help and a perfect solution.

Totally unrealistic. There will always be manufacturing defects. You were unlucky - nothing more, nothing less. It is totally unrealistic to expect any manufacturer to inspect and test every piece before it is sent out. Do you want some cheese with you whine?

wow not sure what unicorn filled fantasy world you live in but equipment with these types of specifications and prices should absolutely be tested before being sent out to the public. i don't think i am unreasonable - mate, you clearly are. i am picking you as a Mares fanboy - thats fine with me but in the world i live in - a manufacturer lets you down, there are plenty of other options to consider next time. do not see how that could possibly be illogical. did the same thing with my last car and have never looked back.

nevertheless, now you mention it, i'd love a bit of cheese with my whine thanks. i'll just sit back and enjoy it lying on my hammock overlooking this beautiful sunset over the South Pacific Ocean. do you mind picking up that palm branch and waving it over me? that would be great.

anyway - @NYCNaiad thanks for the helpful advice. even as an early diver i am already sacrificing as much as possible in order to get my gear through. i know i could hire it just fine but there is something about having your own equipment.

2 dives today and got up close and personal with manta rays, spotted eagle rays and white tipped reef sharks. words can't describe.

appreciate all the feedback.

wow not sure what unicorn filled fantasy world you live in but equipment with these types of specifications and prices should absolutely be tested before being sent out to the public. i don't think i am unreasonable - mate, you clearly are. i am picking you as a Mares fanboy - thats fine with me but in the world i live in - a manufacturer lets you down, there are plenty of other options to consider next time. do not see how that could possibly be illogical. did the same thing with my last car and have never looked back.

nevertheless, now you mention it, i'd love a bit of cheese with my whine thanks. i'll just sit back and enjoy it lying on my hammock overlooking this beautiful sunset over the South Pacific Ocean. do you mind picking up that palm branch and waving it over me? that would be great.

anyway - @NYCNaiad thanks for the helpful advice. even as an early diver i am already sacrificing as much as possible in order to get my gear through. i know i could hire it just fine but there is something about having your own equipment.

2 dives today and got up close and personal with manta rays, spotted eagle rays and white tipped reef sharks. words can't describe.

appreciate all the feedback.

Ignore list

I guess a good back up plan for finicky electronics would be to have a mechanical SPG, bottom timer, or depth gauge/ timing device, and tables. When all else fails you can still dive, then when you get back from your trip you can ream Mares. I know it's not the way things are done these days and they don't teach it anymore, but at least the stuff worked.

@Eric Sedletzky that is a good point Eric. i guess we are spoilt with technology these days and forget about how things were done before we had such devices. i know a couple of people who failed their initial exam due to not understanding how the charts actually work. their excuse was that they didn't think they would ever need to use them.

i prefer to know how it all works if in a worst case situation. i just hope i never have to :)

Back
Top Bottom