Mares Icon HD - deco stop on 3m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ihtiander,

For the sake of clarity, could you explain whether you exceeded the non-decompression limit for the dive in question, please?

If you did, had you planned the deco dive or you exceeded the non-decompression limit by accident?

Just trying to understand the picture.

I'm confused too, cause only me from all group incl. guide, forced to go higher than others after we all spend same time on same depth and confused guide ask me why I doing that.

Different computers run different software algorithms, so the allowable no-stop time on a given dive can vary amongst divers.

Beyond that, there will also be variation based on whether you have conducted different multi-day and/or repetitive dive schedules to the other divers.

The recommended protocol for diving with computers is that the group ascends from the dive based on the computer that approaches the no-decompression limit first. The most conservative dive computer / shortest no-decompression limit 'controls' the dive.

Better still, plan to ascend from your dive allowing a comfortable gap before your no-decompression limit is reached. Diving aggressively up to your limits increases your risk of DCI. Exceeding those limits makes that risk unacceptable.

Are you aware of your no-decompression time when you are on the dive? And, if so, are you fully informed about the risks and consequences of exceeding it?

Do you understand your computer display? And how the display changes when you transition from no-decompression into decompression mode? Do you understand what the computer is demanding that you do? And why?

I don't know WHY, but now we are so far from my question!!! The question was - why my Mares Icon HD NR after deco dive, send me on 3m depth to make deco-stop??? Why other divers (other computers owners) make their deco-stops on 5m depth???

In the original post you asked this question: "Why deco-stop must be completed on the depth higher than depth for safety-stop ???" You got an answer to the question in my second post, namely, you can carry out a safety stop at 3 metres (if you wish to carry out one, because it's not mandatory), immediately after the 3-metre deco stop (if you must do one at that depth according to your computer).

In his last post DevonDiver explained why different divers may have different deco duties, as well.

I think you got answers to your questions, Ihtiander.

No I didn't. Why Mares Icon HD send on 3m depth to make deco-stop? Why all other computers make deco-stop on 5m ? It is simple question and I do not expect diving philosophy, I want to find out is it firmware mistake or supernatural algorithm and no need to tell that all computers do that because it is NOT TRUE.

It's not me who has to "accept" the repercussions.

I own the Icon and if you read the manual it clearly states once you exceed 10m an automatic optional 3 minute safety stop timer will be created which should be conducted between 3-6m.

Since it sounds like you are entering into deco, the computer is generating a ceiling of 3m for decompression. You cannot exceed that depth or you will have incurred a runaway deco and the Icon will lock you out and enter gauge and bottom timer mode. If you stayed at 5m the Icon will calculate a longer time to clear your decompression obligation.

Nevertheless, the fact you don't know the answers to the questions @DevonDiver asked you is troubling.

No I didn't. Why Mares Icon HD send on 3m depth to make deco-stop? Why all other computers make deco-stop on 5m ? It is simple question and I do not expect diving philosophy, I want to find out is it firmware mistake or supernatural algorithm and no need to tell that all computers do that because it is NOT TRUE.

YOU do deco stop at 3m.

The OTHER divers do safety stops at 5m.

A deco stop is VERY DIFFERENT to a safety stop.

You are doing deco stops because you are exceeding no-decompression limits on your computer.

The other divers are doing safety stops because they are not exceeding no-decompression limits on their computers.

You computer is working fine. You are not diving safely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom